Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford dealer idled my car for over two hours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Default Ford dealer idled my car for over two hours?

So I take the '13 Premium in for two pieces of warranty work. Updating software in the stereo my Ford synch crap; and to replace the computer screen in between the tach and speedo.

Well they had reset the dash computer and of course that also reset the Trip A and Trip B screens. So while the trip odometers read zero miles, the engine run timer had logged over two stinking hours of engine run

No doubt at the end of those installations u need power to check out that everything is right, but do u need to run the engine while u do your work? Or was the technician just staying cool on a hot Alabama day on my gas nickel.?

Should I even care and write it up when the Woody Anderson Ford evaluation pops in on my email?
Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Don't sweat the small stuff.....
Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by GTC
So I take the '13 Premium in for two pieces of warranty work. Updating software in the stereo my Ford synch crap; and to replace the computer screen in between the tach and speedo.

Well they had reset the dash computer and of course that also reset the Trip A and Trip B screens. So while the trip odometers read zero miles, the engine run timer had logged over two stinking hours of engine run

No doubt at the end of those installations u need power to check out that everything is right, but do u need to run the engine while u do your work? Or was the technician just staying cool on a hot Alabama day on my gas nickel.?

Should I even care and write it up when the Woody Anderson Ford evaluation pops in on my email?
So what's your point? You spend more time idling in rush hour traffic or at red lights than that....

Have you ever tried to work on the inside of a car in hot weather without A/C? Better the technician remain cool so they can focus on updating your car correctly instead of sweating all over the place and being distracted and dealing with the heat.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

If it is like our local Dealer they use an outside Radio company that works out in the lot and not in the shop.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 PM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

The ignition could have just been switched to ON and the car not actually running.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
So what's your point? You spend more time idling in rush hour traffic or at red lights than that....

Have you ever tried to work on the inside of a car in hot weather without A/C? Better the technician remain cool so they can focus on updating your car correctly instead of sweating all over the place and being distracted and dealing with the heat.
This.

Also...I'm not sure why you took it to them to update the software as it is very easy to do on your own. One of the instructions is to have your engine running during the upgrade.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
This.

Also...I'm not sure why you took it to them to update the software as it is very easy to do on your own. One of the instructions is to have your engine running during the upgrade.
that depends. SYNC has two firmware "blobs;" there's the VMCU and the CCPU. the CCPU is the software you interact with; it handles phones, audio devices, voice recognition, and that Applink stuff. When you do a SYNC software update over USB, you're updating the CCPU firmware.

The VMCU is the part which interfaces with the rest of the car, and that can't be updated by the user. it's possible there was an update which required a dealer visit.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
that depends. SYNC has two firmware "blobs;" there's the VMCU and the CCPU. the CCPU is the software you interact with; it handles phones, audio devices, voice recognition, and that Applink stuff. When you do a SYNC software update over USB, you're updating the CCPU firmware.

The VMCU is the part which interfaces with the rest of the car, and that can't be updated by the user. it's possible there was an update which required a dealer visit.
Solid info, thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You think THAT'S bad? My dealerships mechanic BURPED in my car. I should have sued...