Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long tube header HP comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 04:10 AM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

Default Long tube header HP comparison

Has anyone seen horsepower numbers for the following long tube headers? I'm trying to decide between the stainless steel offerings in the marketplace. I'm not going for the Hookers becuase they only come in mild steel. I live in New England. Rust, Rust, Rust!

JBA Longtubes w/ catted h-pipe

Dynatech LongTubes w/ catted h-pipe

Kooks Longtubes w/ catted h-pipe

Stainless Works w/ catted h-pipe
Old 12-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Thump_rrr

Default RE: Long tube header HP comparison

Here is the dyno results for the JBA Longtube Headers. It was performed by Pauls High Performance.

JBA Dyno Sheet

Just for your info the JBA's will require a new mid pipe either catted or catless. You will also require firmer engine mounts to prevent the motor from torquing and rubbing the headers on either the frame or the steering shaft.

Both Steeda and Prothane make engine mounts for the 05.

I went with the JBA Titanium Ceramic Coated Headers.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:08 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

trade
i live in MD and we get our share of crappy weather. not as much snow but lots of ice/mix and the dot here loves salt! i feel the same about rust but if you get the hookers coated they will not rust since they are coated inside and out. mine look great. i have used coated headers since htc/jet-hot was introduced 15years ago and have never seen any rust. the coating is also worth a few hp so even if you decide to go with jba get them coated every little bit counts. jba claims 23hp hooker claims? but tube size and length is almost identical to jba so give them 20hp. watch for dynatech and s/works i think they use a 1 3/4" primary tube. this is a little big for our engines.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:33 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Are any of the headers out there CARB approved and smog legal? I think keeping the car smog legal is important but I really want some headers on my car.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Twister086
2nd Gear Member

the jba cat4ward shorty header are the only ones i know bout that are smog legal 50 state... they are the best shorty header but they arent longtubes thats for sure.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:53 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, shorties aren't worth the money in comparison to the stockers...I will get some LT's as soon as they are smog approved. Unless you trailer your car to the track, removing the smog equipment just isn't worth the headaches.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:50 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

there is virtually no smog equipment on this car. the only thing to worry with is the cats. other than that the VCT does the rest. no egr system or air pump to deal with...i love this car...thank you ford!!
Old 12-25-2005, 09:00 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

You're right spider, it is great to have hardly any smog equipment in order to run clean. These are really good cars. I do see a lot of people dumping the cats in order to get a few extra HP. Not sure I think that is such a great idea. Keep it legal, keep it clean, less headaches in the long haul.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:12 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

yeah i agree mash i would not have removed mine but the long tubes basically took the place of them. i may consider getting the jba or just going to my dads and welding some high flow cats on my hpipe. the stock ones flow great and why screw up the air when you don't have to.if only this thing was a flex fuel car...then we could get freaky with boost and timing running on ethanol and still be super clean...green peace may even sponsor a race car.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:18 AM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

I found some dyno info on the Stainless Works longtubes w/ cats. I'm not sure if they are the 1 3/4 or 1 5/8 size primary tubes.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Must...204.6%203v.pdf

Quick Reply: Long tube header HP comparison