4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pats Disable

Old 01-17-2006, 01:30 AM
login

Default Pats Disable

Hello Everyone: Have a 1998 Mustang Gt convertible with the 4.6. Lost one of my keys so only have one left. Going to buy a couple new pats keys but was wondering if the system can be disabled to save me the grief of going to the dealer? Did some searching on it but cannot come up with anything in regards

Thanks

LOGIN
Old 01-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pats Disable

no.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

find the D@mn key man....save your money! + post some pics of your car.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Yes, you can DEFINITELY do it yourself....gimme a sec, lemme find the article.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Here's what I wrote earlier in this forum:

Like many Mustang owners, I bought my trusty steed with only one key, which was, frighteningly enough, bent and had a hairline crack at the middle. As you may know, many 95-04 keys contain an embedded transponder chip, which transmits a signal to the steering column, disarming the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System). A new blank will only open the doors, trunk, and glove box. Knowing this, I was understandably frightened my key would crack, and I'd be very much in trouble. So, I quickly went to the dealer to get another key. They told me: $59.99 for a new key and $80 for programming. Yikes. So, I started researching. I made myself 2 new keys and programmed them myself. Total cost, no more than $12.

Unlike what they tell you, you only need one working key to do this. I bought blank transponder keys on eBay for $10 each. For 95-98 GTs, all you need to do is place the one working key into the ignition and turn it to ON (START) until the THEFT light turns off. Then, you have 15 seconds to place the new, cut, unprogrammed key into the ignition. The THEFT light flashes for 2 seconds and then turns off. It is now programmed.

I tried this also on my buddy's 99 GT but it didn't work. THIS one needed a second key. I found (I think) a way to confuse the computer into thinking I had actually 2 keys. The programming method is the same as for the 96, but it requires you to begin by placing 2 different and fully working keys in the ignition to let the computer go into programming mode. I don't know much, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the sensor on the ignition KNEW the two keys entered were different, if they were both fully functional. Since the transponder functions as a resistor of sorts, I thought that perhaps every transponder had a unique resistance, which the ignition sensor could detect in the signal response, so I used one key in the following manner: Placed the key in the ignition, turned to ON (START), and then took it out, then (in less than 15 seconds), placed a small magnet (a fridge magnet on the end of the key should work--I used the small magnet form a portable chess game pawn), and insert the key into the ignition and do the same again--turn to ON (START) and then took it out. NOW, the computer was in programing mode, and I could enter the cut and unprogrammed key and the 'stang programmed it! We (my buddy and I) were both amazed.

For what the dealer charged a ridiculous amount of money, it can be done in about 45 seconds for no more than $12.

Cheers, from Sunny Miami,
gaspi.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

You need only one key--your car is the same system as mine, I have a 96 you have a 98. Just buy a blank transponder key, cut it, and follow the example for my car as explained above--forget the section about the 99+ mustangs.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:32 PM
scootr9718

I have an '01 GT, and I just bought two blank keys off of eBay. I am going to attempt to program them myself with the "magnet" method. I will let you know what happens.
Just to clarify, it worked just by placing the magnet touching the end of the key, then putting the key back in the ignition? Or did you hold it on the back of the key WHILE you place the key in the ignition?
Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 PM
jay_dubb2k5
1st Gear Member

I got 3 keys from the dealer i feel special
Old 01-23-2006, 11:41 PM
jay_dubb2k5
1st Gear Member

I got 3 keys from the dealer I feel special

now i feel stupid cause i posted it twice