Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

My 4.6 swap to 5.4, lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

Default My 4.6 swap to 5.4, lots of pics

i posted this in the 4.6 section, but i thought some of you in this section that never make it over might want to see

ok so the plan is this weekend (1/21/06) i am going to start on my swap, i will take pictures, post them and make notes of whan needs to be changed to make the swap. Here is some pictures of the motor right now. I will update this post when i get new pictures. Hope it goes well.

EDIT:
got bored so i decided to start early, here is what i got so far.

1/19/06

First thing i did was remove the hood, then i put it up on jack stands, drained the oil and coolant.

Removed upper plenum, intake vacuume lines, wiring harness, Coil packs & wires

intake manifold, water pump pulley, alternator, & Electric fan

here is most of the parts that got removed, so far.

1/20/06

side shot of the 4.6 & 5.4 fuel rails

if you look at the red circles (fuel perssure regulators, you will see that the 4.6 can be un bolted and replaced with a after market one, and the 5.4 has a inner snap ring that holdt it inplace. is there after marked fuel press. regulators for this one?)
the green are the quick connect fitings, they are on opposite sides so the fuel lines must be extended to reach. and yes you have to use the 5.4 fuel rail, i put the 4.6 rails on the 5.4 intake and they didn't fit that well... im sure you can make them go on but ill just use the 5.4 rail.

Stock NPI 4.6 intake manifold. has two coolant temp sensors.

5.4 PI intake with aluminum cross over.(only one temp sensor) the green circle on the left was a coolant nipple that went to the heater core. i din't know what it went to so i hacked it off, i milled it down and taped it so i can have both temp sensors in. but later i realized what it was for... the heater core

so i made this... this is going to go on the upper raidator hose and then the nipple will be ran back to the heater core.

1/21/06

a notch had to be cut so the oil pressure sender can be put on.

compairing the two Engines

compairing the two manifolds

these bottom two baffels need to be bent down 1/2 inch

my girl friend wanted me to, lol.

do this befor it goes in un like me so you dont have to pull it out them put it back in.

the passenger exhaust manifold has a casting lump that there is no need for so that had to be cut off for some clearance.
**Do this befor it goes in un like me so you dont have to pull it out them put it back in**

tilting the engine helps get it in/out

Makeing room for the intake so i had to mount the coil on the strut tower

... befor the motor is installed cut this are out, (where it is hammered) the EGR needs room so it is not on the fuel lines. and you also need to add 1 inch to the EGR tube right next to the EGR valve, you can strech/ and bend in the right places to make the 4.6 fit the 5.4. i used the 4.6 because there is no room for the 5.4 egr tube.

Whats that in the scoop?

Now dosn't that look AWSOME!

yes it dose hit on a 3" cowl hood with a SVO scoop. but only on the intake. it can move down

comming close...

oh and if you are going to do this and you have a PI mustang buy the addapter plates they are like $350 and you can use the stock 4.6 intake and notch your the under side of the hood but its not visable form the top. it will make every thing a LOT easyer, belive me. and the runners are shorter on the 4.6 so it will help make a little more hp then the 5.4 intake will. the 5.4 intake with loe longer runners will make more low RPM Torgue and less High RPM HP the 4.6 intake will do visa versa.( i would recommend the 4.6 with addapters)

1/23/06
Exhaust

ok so to make the exhauset fit... i cut the H in half so i can do one side at a time the Driver side fits perfect no modifications needed

Ther passenger side i either need to remove the lower stud to get it on, or can i cut the flange like this and then just bolt it on, im leaning to cutting the flange because it will be easyer then removing the stud if i h
Old 01-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Mustang95
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My 4.6 swap to 5.4, lots of pics

Looks sick, But please dont tell me that is the stock exhaust ur putting bak on?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

looks great man, what was wrong with your 4.6? anything

also what did you do to the 5.4 before installing? any idea on how much power that will be making
Old 01-24-2006, 04:16 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Looks like ur doing a damn good job man. Keep up the good work. Sounds like its gonna be a torque beast. Let us know when u get it up and everything in place.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Does Not Exist
4th Gear Member

Looks good bro. I really like the intake peaking out the hoodscoop.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Now if only you could put together an air box so you just shove the air right through that scoop to the TB. All you need is to connect the MAF to the TB and a custom air box on the other end of the MAF No turns, no heat/soak, just straight cold air.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Closkey
2nd Gear Member

yea whats with the stock exhaust?
Otherwise, nice job.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Closkey

Otherwise, nice job.
find a set of headers for a 5.4L mustang. i am sure he would buy a set.

nice job.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Closkey
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim37

Otherwise, nice job.

nice job.
Well if the stock headers fit (tight, but fit), I would assume that some unequal length shorties would be able to squeeze on. But thats not what I was asking about, I was refering to the stock h-pipe that was being modded to fit.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:21 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim37

Otherwise, nice job.

nice job.
Well if the stock headers fit (tight, but fit), I would assume that some unequal length shorties would be able to squeeze on. But thats not what I was asking about, I was refering to the stock h-pipe that was being modded to fit.
Those stock headers are the ones that come on 5.4's, not the 4.6's even though they look the same.

Quick Reply: My 4.6 swap to 5.4, lots of pics