Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

X pipe VS. H pipe VS. Straight

Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default X pipe VS. H pipe VS. Straight

so i broke the air pipe that goes into the exhaust where i thought the H was.... turns out thats all it was , an air feed tube from the smog pump.

i broke it on a curb and the shop cut and welded it shut, now i have striaght pipes and im not liking them too much.

what do you think sounds best? X H or Straight. i know X is better performance but i dont care.

im looking for the most deep yet smooth sound.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:49 PM
redgt2000
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: X pipe VS. H pipe VS. Straight

most folk round here will tell you H pipes for the throaty bark. i have an offroad x-pipe, and im thinking of switching to a H for the sound. anyone else???
Old 02-05-2006, 01:27 AM
099gt
2nd Gear Member

h pipe is deeper sounding and better IMO. x pipe is loud and raspy
Old 02-05-2006, 01:38 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

id say h pipe. but its preference. h and x are within like 2 hp of each other. but with a straight pipe i believe you lose a decent amount of power. so it depends on if you want a deeper muscle car sound, or a little higher pitched, racecar sound. either will probably sound pretty good. it also depends on the type of muffler/catback you have. an o/r x with say slp lm1 is going to sound insanely loud...but not very refined...IMO of course.

you said you want a deep but smooth sound...so for a smoother sound id say you might want an H with high flow cats.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:56 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

blah blah. x isn't loud and raspy. sti;; the same old song and dance here. people posting information about things they've never actually had/heard and just go by hear say. ask anyone that actually has an X.

i'd get an H for a 5.0 though.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:02 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Yes, I love my x, but for a 5.0 deff. get an H.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

blah blah. x isn't loud and raspy. sti;; the same old song and dance here. people posting information about things they've never actually had/heard and just go by hear say. ask anyone that actually has an X.

i was waiting for you to comment on this nanaki, hahah..if you get an X pipe on a 5.0 you should be shot numerous times in the face.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:15 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Albizo66

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i was waiting for you to comment on this nanaki, hahah..if you get an X pipe on a 5.0 you should be shot numerous times in the face.
jence the reason why i said to get an H for a 5.0.

i'll always comment when people say X;s are "high pitched" and "raspy". i'd say 95% of people that say that have never actually heard one nad just go by what;s been posted on the internet by someone else (who probably hasn't heard it either).
Old 02-05-2006, 02:36 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I wish I could get a soundclip of the stang idleing so people can hear the x.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

i didnt say it was raspy i just said it was a little bit higher pitched and maybe more race-car-ish. not necessarily a bad sound by any means. i just like the h better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X pipe VS. H pipe VS. Straight