AmericanMuscle.com Premier store carries over 1000 Mustang parts and accessories. Features the largest mustang wheel selection available and offers free mount and balance with tire purchases. Committed to expert customer support, great prices and fast, free shipping!

Thanks American Muscle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Cbraspd SVT

Smile Thanks American Muscle

I have a '96 Cobra that I'm modding/restoring. I bought a Magnapack cat-back system from AMERICAN MUSCLE. I had Fastlane Motorsports here in Benson, NC install the kit.
The problem is that the passenger side pipe MUST be for another model year Mustang or another car altogether. We used the Magnaflow supplied bracket from the kit and the exhaust-out end of the pipe was pointed upwards into the trunk. We double checked to make sure it was on the correct side and it was.
We started trouble shooting so we removed the muffler section just to make sure the BBK midpipe didnt have any effect on installation. The hanger pieces
appeared not to be in the rite place. It took just a minuet to install the drivers side and it fit perfectly. 5 of us worked for 2 hours trying to
manipulate the pass side to work.The only way we could get the pipe to exit the rear and be able to keep those mufflers on the car was to use the stock
factory bracket and only hang one of the rubber mounts on it. This has the pipe hanging crooked and resting on the frame rail. Its vibrating at low RPMs
like a SOB and looks ridiculous.

I called American Muscle and they said it was the Manufacturers problem.They gave me a phone # and in just a min I had a Magnaflow representative on the line.
He said take some pics and send them in and they would fix the problem. I thought Whew, this is gonna go smoother than I thought..It may actually get resolved. So I did that. I took clear pics showing that the exhaust doesn't fit on that side ***See pics*** along with the explanation of what happened, what we did, and Fastlanes number and tech names to verify the problem if necessary. The Magnaflow Rep called me immediately after I sent him the email.
He told me to open my pics and look at them, which I did.
He said "It looks like the pipe is mounted wrong, its an installation error."
DUH I replied, just like in my email, that the only way to keep those mufflers on the car was to Jerry-Rig that side. The Magnaflow brackets and pipe
didn't line up and it was pointed upwards into the trunk.
He said call American Muscle and get a return order #.
I called American Muscle back and they said that since it had been over 30 days that they didnt have a # for me to give them. I told the American Muscle Rep that thats what Magnaflow wanted. He said it would have nothing to do with Magnaflow that was an internal system order # for their company. I told him that I knew what he was telling me and I didnt care what it ment its what Magnaflow wanted.
He basically just said I have no # to give you.
So I told him that I had Magnaflows # and the Representatives extension and to 3-way him and they can duke it out while I listen.
He didnt like that or want any part of it. I told him I bought it from them and I spent $500 for the kit and it needs to be made rite. So he "made a note"
on my order info in his computer and emailed me a copy of the payment receipt. I told him that was a start and Id call them back.

So...I called the Magnaflow Rep back again and he said that he didnt know anything about Fastlane and I need to remove the whole cat-back system, ship it to them so they can put it in their JIG and if (WHEN) it doesnt fit they will send me a new kit. If it, by some anomely, fits their jig then Id have to pay return shipping to get it back -obviously.
I told him that Fastlane was THE Mustang shop in NC, we arent retards, it is not the correct pipe, the Cobra was my only car rite now and its just not
feesable to take the mufflers off my car and send them in and wait while they figure out their screw up. I offered if they would send me the proper pipe, to send the wrong-fitting one that they sent me back COD..What the hell do I need it for? He didnt like that resolve too much either.

The guys at Fastlane told me that this wasn't the first time that they have seen this happen. They said rip that crap off and go with Flowmasters. I however LOVE the sound of the Magnapacks and want to keep them. I also dont want to be out $500 or the $ to ship it to Magnaflow. I dont think they will take it COD and like I said, this is my only car currently.

Its not good biz to take someones money for a product and give them the run around when a problem arises. I know it does happen, but this isnt a dispute about whether a part was abused. This is clearly a manufacturer mixup.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I just want the correct pipe and what I paid for.

Last edited by lizzyfan; 07-24-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Cbraspd SVT

Couldnt load the pics on the forum so heres the link to the Cardomain page...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3175494/3
Old 07-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

AM is responsible imo... I'm shocked they didn't jump on this and make it right immediately.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

I'm really sorry you've been having such a tough time resolving this. I'm not sure who you spoke to over here, but if you pm me your order information (full name, email address and billing/shipping address) I'll take a look at the order and help straighten things out for you as quickly as possible.

Edited to add:

I was able to find your order with a little digging. You placed the order in April of 2009, which is well outside our regular 30 day return period. That's why we referred you to the manufacturer, though the rep you worked with didn't do a very good job of explaining things, and I'm sorry for that. I've made a point of mentioning this to our customer service training staff, so it doesn't happen again. You mentioned that other folks have had a problem with this part, and I'll make sure we look into that so if it is a recurring problem, we're able to let the manufacturer know.

Our returns manager is faxing a warranty claim over to Magnaflow for you. They will send us a return authorization number that we will pass on to you, and you can ship the parts back to Magnaflow (please let me know if you need their shipping address, I'll be happy to send it to you). We're also setting up a replacement to ship to you from Magnaflow, since we're currently out of stock on the kit. We'll cross-ship the kit, so you can send the original parts back once you receive the replacements. In the mean time, please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, I'm always happy to help.

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 07-23-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: updated
Old 07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Wow I guess that shows you that no ones perfect..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Cbraspd SVT

Bryan or Brian from American Muscle just called with promising news. He talked to Magnaflow this morning and took some info from me and they are going to ship me a new kit!

I'll put the old kit in the new box when it comes and send it back to Magnaflow.

I really like the Packs alot and just want what I paid for.

Thanks SO much to Emily, B, and American Muscle for making this rite!

-Malloy
CBRASPD SVT
(Cobra Speed)
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

My faith is restored, lol!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:57 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

thats great AMstanger
good job on jumping on this and proving why yall are my, and most peoples, go to place for mustang parts
Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Once again American Muscle proves that they are the absolute best place to do business with.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 AM
Cbraspd SVT

Emily you are my hero! Thank you again!

-Malloy

Quick Reply: Thanks American Muscle