AmericanMuscle.com Premier store carries over 1000 Mustang parts and accessories. Features the largest mustang wheel selection available and offers free mount and balance with tire purchases. Committed to expert customer support, great prices and fast, free shipping!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights - Dual CCFL Halo (99-04 All)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:18 PM
amvaughn

Smile Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights - Dual CCFL Halo (99-04 All)

Hi All,

Ok so I bought these lights recently. Installed them and wired them up no problem. However when I first drove them at night I realized they were not pointing right and they shook like hell. So I said ok I will adjust them. It tool me a minute to figure out exactly how these adjust. It appears you stick a philips screwdriver perpindicular to the lights and spin the screwdriver. This will cause this notched wheel to spin on the philips slots like a gear. Ok fine. Well the messed up thing is some of these ack like they are stipped out internally they aren't moving the lights any. There are 2 of these adjusters per light. One near the top and one near the bottom. Does anyone have these and know which adjusts which? Is one supposed to do the horizonal and one vertical for both high and low beam? is one of each light vertical only? if so how do you adjust left and right. I ended up breaking a bunch of hack-saw blades to put down between the original headlight holders to tighten things up and it still rattles like hell. Everyone reviews these things online like they are perfect fits and great lights. Well i can't see ****, can't adjust and they shake. How can AM advertise these things as being a good product. Is it just me? Some help would be greatly appreciated. I guess I should have been more suspicious when the instructions were obviously written in bad English. (Install instructions, apparently adjustment instructions were no included)

As a side note. I am very mechanically inclined. I've worked on lots of cars, trucks etc. Perhaps not so much on aesthetic stuff. But still these things should not have me stumped.

Thanks,

Austin

Last edited by amvaughn; 09-04-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Austin,

Each projector housing has it's own adjuster. When you spin the adjuster clockwise it will raise the projected light and counter clockwise will lower it. There isn't a horizontal adjustment because it shouldn't be needed with the headlights seated in their sockets.

It sounds like you're not having any luck with the adjustments though. Do you feel the adjuster is stripped because of the headlight movement or is it making a noise when turning it or both? Also, can you give me more details about the rattling light? does the overall housing feel secure? Could the rattling be the internal projector? If it's the outside housing, it may just need to be tightened down more.

Give the headlight adjustment one more shot. If it definitely doesn't raise or lower, then there's something going on internally. Let me know and I'll have a new set of headlights shipped out to you ASAP!

Shane

Last edited by AMWill; 09-05-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 AM
amvaughn

Default Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights - Dual CCFL Halo (99-04 All)

Shane,

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday afternoon I purchased a 16" philips screwdriver so I can adjust the lower (gear) while lights are installed. I will give it another shot tonight or tomorrow and give you the results. As far as the shaking goes, it is the whole assembly. It acts almost like there is not enough surface contact between the light housing and the socket assembly on the car. I have them tightened to the point if I add any more spacers I will break the ears out of the back of the light assembly. I can still jiggle the lights and the socket on the car does not move. The back of the headlight assembly needs shims touching the socket around the outside to eliminate this I believe.

Thanks,

Austin
Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Austin,

Let me know if you have any luck adjusting the headlights tonight. Your new 16" philips screwdriver should do the trick, getting to the low beam adjuster. I know it will take some time adjusting it just right with such little space, but it should work.

To be honest, I wasn't aware of how much movement there was with these CCFL halo headlights installed properly. I've always used the factory headlights on my own '04 Cobra and never installed these exact halo lights before. Luckily, we have a set of these halo headlights on our '01 v6, so I ran out to the garage and took a closer look.

After installing and uninstalling the lights a few times to double check, I do agree there is a good amount of wiggle room. Personally, I wouldn't be thrilled about that much wiggle room on my own Mustang's headlights either. This is something I feel needs to be tweaked by Raxiom, for a better fit in the future.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Since your feedback, I've already talked to my guys that work closely with Raxiom and gave them an insight on the issue. They're going to contact Raxiom and perform some R&D work until we find a better fit for these headlights.

If you're able to adjust the lighting properly, but still aren't happy with the extra wiggle room, don't worry! I want you to be happy with your purchase and continue being a loyal customer with us. So, if you're interested I'd gladly setup a return and full refund for your headlights. Just say the word! Oh and send me a PM with your First/Last name and shipping address to move things along quicker.

Shane

Last edited by AMWill; 09-06-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM
amvaughn

Default Update

All,

Well I was able to adjust the lights with a longer philips screwdriver.

I will not know how much light I get at night until tomorrow night but for the most part they will adjust as needed. I will probably try to upgrade the bulbs if i think it is too dim and see if that resolves the problem.

Shane, I appreciate your posts and support on these. I think I will study and analyzy how and where to apoxy some spacers around the outside of the housing to try and stop the shaking. The shaking will have to be resolved if I ever plan to be happy with these lights.

Austin