AmericanMuscle.com Premier store carries over 1000 Mustang parts and accessories. Features the largest mustang wheel selection available and offers free mount and balance with tire purchases. Committed to expert customer support, great prices and fast, free shipping!

PCM getting reprogrammed. Reload tune?

Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Default PCM getting reprogrammed. Reload tune?

due to a need for a new EVAP vent solenoid, the repair shop is telling me they will be reprogramming/updating the PCM. Will I need to reload my AM/Bama tune after this?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Do NOT reload your tune until you make sure the strategy is the same. Often times the strategy will change when the PCM is updated. If you load your tune and a different strategy has been loaded, you will turn your PCM into a brick. Retrieve the updated strategy and check with Bama - they may need to write you a new tune.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

OP-Good question and just like JPP had said you should go back to stock then read the strategy and email or call Bama to see if it has been changed. I'm also a little lost why they're needing to reprogram or update this for you doing the work. Did they elaborate on this at all by chance?

Alex
Old 12-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

All they said was that replacing the evap vent solenoid required it.

How will I know if it has a different strategy? All I remember having to provide previously was the 4 digit code (sticker) on the PCM box.

Last edited by Murphdog; 12-22-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Murphdog
All they said was that replacing the evap vent solenoid required it.

How will I know if it has a different strategy? All I remember having to provide previously was the 4 digit code (sticker) on the PCM box.
Hey Murph-Please shoot the guys at Bama a call so they can clear some of this up, they can be reached at 888.226.9764 and just let them know that Laz sent you!

Alex
Old 12-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Called, thanks. I'll be looking for the strategy code on my SCT x3 when I get the car back this afternoon. I'll ask the shop if they put it back to stock (or I'll upload my stock tune back to it).
Old 12-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Dealers will almost always clear the PCM by reprogramming it after replacing a part that could affect the adaptive learning or Fuel trims. They do this to avoid the computer trying to work with old parameters on a new part that could damage the new part. They also do this so the car will adapt more quickly. A PCM reprogram is not the same as "clearing the codes" with a hand tool or by pulling the battery ground.

This is a smog part so I would imagine that is part of their protocol for those kinds of parts.

In some cases dealers will also take the opportunity to update any software that is relevant to the cars yr and model.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I also assume that the only way I would know what the old strategy code was is if I plugged my tuner into it before I gave it to them? Or if I was to submit to Bama a new tune request, somehow, they would have data showing that it is different. Brainstorming here. I will question the service tech when I pick it up.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Murphdog
I also assume that the only way I would know what the old strategy code was is if I plugged my tuner into it before I gave it to them? Or if I was to submit to Bama a new tune request, somehow, they would have data showing that it is different. Brainstorming here. I will question the service tech when I pick it up.
I believe they will update the sticker on your PCM to reflect the correct strategy after the tune. Otherwise, if you go to another service center (ford or whatever) and they try to program it or troubleshoot it, they may get errors, get confusing data or worse, brick it themselves. not all dealers look at oasis first when working on a new to their shop car.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

OK, that clears it up. I wasn't sure if the "strategy" code was the same thing as that 4 digit code / sticker. I'm looking at my last bama order sheet and it refers to it as a "computer" code. I will check the tuner strategy details to double check. Thanks.

Last edited by Murphdog; 12-22-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM getting reprogrammed. Reload tune?