AmericanMuscle.com Premier store carries over 1000 Mustang parts and accessories. Features the largest mustang wheel selection available and offers free mount and balance with tire purchases. Committed to expert customer support, great prices and fast, free shipping!

PCM getting reprogrammed. Reload tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I was unable to get my car today as they called me on my way to work. I had a conversation with the service tech who learned, after he updated the PCM and saw my CAI that it needed a aftermarket tune, noticing that it was running a little rough. He was telling me that it had the same strategy code but he called it a "Tear Tag" (if I heard them right) , but I am going to stop by in the morning and hook my tuner up to it to verify.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Stopped by the shop and plugged the tuner into the car to get the strategy code. It is NOT the same as the PCM code. my PCM code (same as the sticker on the box) is the one I provided to Bama to get my previous tunes and is a 4 digit alpha-numeric combination, while the strategy code is 7 digits. I'm going to give Bama a call in about 30 minutes.

The car is still at the shop as they are still working on the new rear rotors/brakes.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Called Bama, based on the strategy code, the PCM 4 digit code is now different so I'm getting new tunes created. I'm also going to get with the service tech to see if ty can get a new sticker put on the box.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Murphdog
Called Bama, based on the strategy code, the PCM 4 digit code is now different so I'm getting new tunes created. I'm also going to get with the service tech to see if ty can get a new sticker put on the box.
Hey Murph-Thanks for keeping us in the loop.I spoke with Justin (The Tuner you're working with) And it's sounding like they should have the new tunes set up for you this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest. Let me know if you have any other questions at all and I'm here to help or feel free to speak with Justin directly!

Alex
Old 12-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
Hey Murph-Thanks for keeping us in the loop.I spoke with Justin (The Tuner you're working with) And it's sounding like they should have the new tunes set up for you this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest. Let me know if you have any other questions at all and I'm here to help or feel free to speak with Justin directly!

Alex
I tried to order 2 sets of tunes. One regular set and 1 with O2 sensors enabled (for inspection days) but I only submited once. I suspect I need a different order # for the second set?

Also looks like I'm creating my own sticker as the service tech is telling me he's got nothing to create one
Old 12-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I have a feeling I messed up as I should have put the stock tune back on the stang prior to giving it to the shop (and put the stock air intake on too).

I left a voice mail for SCT to call me back (wasn't able to stay on hold with them like yesterday for some reason).

I was hoping that I would be able to just upload one of the new tunes to the newly reflashed mustang and it would automatically dowload the new stock tune but I think I'm wrong on that.

I'm guessing that SCT will need to work their magic (requiring me to mail the tuner to them).

In any case my car is in working condition right now. I had to put the stock air intake back on when I left the shop. I could live with that for now until the stock tune isse gets resolved on the X3 tuner.

I may submit another order to get the tunes with 02 sensor enabled in the near future.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:37 PM
JimC

Anytime you take your car in to the dealer - ESPECIALLY if they will be messing with the PCM - put it back to stock.

When I take mine in for service the service tech and manager know that my car runs a non-stock tune and ask if I set it back to stock before doing anything. They won't do an update even if there is something saying to do an update unless I put it back to stock since it can mess things up.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I usually am aware of that but it didn't even cross my mind this time

I contacted SCT this morning and confirmed I'm going to need to send the tuner into them to get it unlocked. Luckily the cost is $75 and not $150 since they (repair shop) mention the reprogramming on the receipt.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Thanks for keeping us updated Murphdog. Good to know for others that may need PCM work done in the future.