Arizona Regional Chapter Chapter President: PHX8839

MAC Boomtubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Pete's GT

Ya I have heard nothing but good things about the MAC products. So I guess i'm back to ordering them from american muscle.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kong1965
MAC=garbage? Never heard that before. Never.
I have. I was looking into them a few weeks ago, I wasn't impressed with them at all.

I haven't dealt with AMP in years, but they were pretty straight up and cool people.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Kong1965
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BL00DSH0T
I have. I was looking into them a few weeks ago, I wasn't impressed with them at all.

I haven't dealt with AMP in years, but they were pretty straight up and cool people.
Saying you weren't impressed with them is one thing, but as a business, telling someone what they want to purchase is garbage, (because we don't carry it) but the stuff we do sell is really high quality (because they do carry it) is the wrong approach as far me being their customer is concerned.

I don't know the people at AMP, they might be the coolest dudes in the world, but I just had a similar experience here in Tucson where I called what everyone else claimed was the ONLY shop in Tucson that really knew Mustangs, and the owner got on the phone and proceeded to tell me that I'd made a huge mistake in ordering the parts I had, that I should sell them, and buy a supercharger from him instead. Even though you'll see about 5000 people in the forums running exactly the parts I ordered. Hmmmm what does that sound like? Someone interested in helping me out, or someone interested in selling me what I don't want?

Where did you get a chance to see MAC products in the Phoenix area?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kong1965
Saying you weren't impressed with them is one thing, but as a business, telling someone what they want to purchase is garbage, (because we don't carry it) but the stuff we do sell is really high quality (because they do carry it) is the wrong approach as far me being their customer is concerned.

I don't know the people at AMP, they might be the coolest dudes in the world, but I just had a similar experience here in Tucson where I called what everyone else claimed was the ONLY shop in Tucson that really knew Mustangs, and the owner got on the phone and proceeded to tell me that I'd made a huge mistake in ordering the parts I had, that I should sell them, and buy a supercharger from him instead. Even though you'll see about 5000 people in the forums running exactly the parts I ordered. Hmmmm what does that sound like? Someone interested in helping me out, or someone interested in selling me what I don't want?

Where did you get a chance to see MAC products in the Phoenix area?
I can understand what you are saying. I for one don't mind when someone tells me their opinion on a product especially if it is true....even if it is not I still don't mind hearing it.

Stage3 sells MAC....
And I know for sure AMP use to sell MAC, I'm sure they have good reason for not selling them. I seen alot of their products out here and I would say IMO they are a short term mod as they look like *** after awhile.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Kong1965
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BL00DSH0T
I can understand what you are saying. I for one don't mind when someone tells me their opinion on a product especially if it is true....even if it is not I still don't mind hearing it.

Stage3 sells MAC....
And I know for sure AMP use to sell MAC, I'm sure they have good reason for not selling them. I seen alot of their products out here and I would say IMO they are a short term mod as they look like *** after awhile.
Thanks for taking it the right way. I hate people getting possessive about the products on their cars.

The shop I bought and had my MAC stuff installed at swore by them, but truth be told, how would I know any better? I will say this. I bought a full MAC system on a '95 GT convertible (God I miss that car), including CAI, and I never had a problem. Not with discoloration, not with fit/finish, not with quality in any way.

However, I just had BBK long tubes, BBK catted X, and FlowMaster American Thunder done on my 2001 GT, and the shop I went to was excellent for a couple of reasons.

1. They called me an hour after I dropped the car off and said, "Hey dude, where's the hardware, and the O2 extensions for the headers?" To which I said, "What, that **** wasn't in the box." (purchased used off TheCorral)
2. Owner (the guy that called me): "No biggie, I can get the bolts no problem, but the extensions I can order or you can get them yourself." Me. "How much more with that cost?" Owner: "Hmmm. I don't know, $15? at the most for the bolts. You wanna order the extensions?" Me: "Sure, I'm sure I can find them cheap online."
3. Show up at the shop to get house keys, owner is there, comes over says: "Hey, come take a look at this." He has the parts (excluding headers that are already installed), "the flange on the Cat Back system isn't wide enough for the X Pipe so, we'll have to get it flared, and then it will butt up just fine." Me: "Well, when you get it done, I'm going to have it welded in anyway." Owner <with smirk on his face> "What? You didn't think we were going to do that?" Me: "Based on your quote, no." Owner: "Oh yeah, sorry I didn't make that clear."

They call me when the car is done, I pick it up and he hands me both front O2 sensors, tells me to come back when I get the extensions, and they'll finish by installing them and the extensions. When I ask if I can do it myself, he says, "Yeah, but you'll spend an hour and a half on your back in the driveway. We'll do it in about 30 minutes after the tubes cool, and you already paid for it."

No lies. No BS. Just good service.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Pete's GT

Just got off the phone with a guy from Stage 3. Super friendly and helpful, the complete opposite of what I got at AMP. He told me when it comes to the muffler delete, the Pypes muffler delete, pypes pype bomb, and boomtubes, they all come down to being the same. Whats your alls opinion? Should I hold out for the boomtubes or just go with the Pypes muffler delete?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pete's GT
Just got off the phone with a guy from Stage 3. Super friendly and helpful, the complete opposite of what I got at AMP. He told me when it comes to the muffler delete, the Pypes muffler delete, pypes pype bomb, and boomtubes, they all come down to being the same. Whats your alls opinion? Should I hold out for the boomtubes or just go with the Pypes muffler delete?
Based on my experience with Pypes I would go with MAC. IMO Pypes is at the bottom of the list when it comes to exhaust parts and their customer service sucks too.

I think Stage3 has a fitment guarantee with MAC also. I would be surprised if they have that with Pypes.

Pypes' motto is if it doesn't fit you installed it wrong...
Old 03-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Pete's GT

Got the Pypes Muffler delete and put it on yesterday. Absolutely love it, and at 75 on the freeway you can still have a normal conversation. I did notice the passenger side is a bit lower than the driver side, but they lined up perfect. Did the install in PHX, now that im in flagstaff I dont have my tools or the jack. Any experience on how much it would cost to have a muffler shop tweak the hangers for me?