Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing a new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

Default Installing a new head unit

I'll start off by sharing that i live in mexico, we have no vehicle specific harnesses here, all the audio shops i called charged around 1500(120 usd) pesos for the install and they chopped off the oem harness and do crappy wirework, so im not taking it to any shop. My butler suggested we do it ourselves and wire the new head unit cables behind the harness so we can remove it in case i sell the car. i agreed and im working on this wiring diagram to match the stereo to the oem harness

im making it using this 2 wiring diagrams
http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...T0722-002A.pdf
http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/...2008%20mustang

but then a fellow forum member gave me this

which shows wiring for 6 speakers. which leads to the next questions

1. Can anyone help me fill in my chart with the missing info?
2. i have the shaker 500 with no sub, so i dont no where should i wire those 2 subs to and from, i read somewhere that i should wire from the amp harness, but the big harness also seems to have wires for it.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I realize things are ****-tastic in mexico, but do you not get any postal mail?

And no sub? Do you not have the 8 inch door speakers that stick out? Guess what, those are the subs. Each has an amp, the link to which I gave you in the other thread. The shaker is a 6 speaker setup, and has 3 wiring harnesses going to the rear of the head-unit. The left out 16pin is the for the aux line input and wiring.

Do yourself a favor, and leave the wiring unmolested and just order from somewhere that will ship the very cheap plastic wiring harnesses to the DMZ/Mexico.

Otherwise use the first 2 pages here to tell you what is what:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...Navigation.pdf

As an example: Looking at the above pdf, first page, left side, it says, "speaker, right, rear" beside it, following that line from it back it lists it as "RR Speaker +", that means it's the right rear(passenger side) positive line. Above the wire further along it says OG-RD for the wire color, that means it's orange with a red stripe.
All of the wire color designations, and what everything means is listed here:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Symbols.pdf (page 3 specifically if all you want is the definitions to the color abbreviations)

Last edited by wayne613; 07-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
I realize things are ****-tastic in mexico, but do you not get any postal mail?

And no sub? Do you not have the 8 inch door speakers that stick out? Guess what, those are the subs. Each has an amp, the link to which I gave you in the other thread. The shaker is a 6 speaker setup, and has 3 wiring harnesses going to the rear of the head-unit. The left out 16pin is the for the aux line input and wiring.

Do yourself a favor, and leave the wiring unmolested and just order from somewhere that will ship the very cheap plastic wiring harnesses to the DMZ/Mexico.

Otherwise use the first 2 pages here to tell you what is what:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...Navigation.pdf

As an example: Looking at the above pdf, first page, left side, it says, "speaker, right, rear" beside it, following that line from it back it lists it as "RR Speaker +", that means it's the right rear(passenger side) positive line. Above the wire further along it says OG-RD for the wire color, that means it's orange with a red stripe.
All of the wire color designations, and what everything means is listed here:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Symbols.pdf (page 3 specifically if all you want is the definitions to the color abbreviations)
Mexican postal service can take up to 6 months to deliver anything, its a mess. And having any sort of postal company trying to import stuff is hard because the customs officers are really crooked and will hold your stuff til you pay a bribe

By subwoofer i meant one in the trunk, my bad.

And i had most of what you posted figuered out, i just wanted to know how to wire the RCA into the subs and how to wire the power for the headunit
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hinojosa
And i had most of what you posted figuered out, i just wanted to know how to wire the RCA into the subs and how to wire the power for the headunit
If you're stuck with hack n slash, then the center pin for an factory RCA connection is always the +(positive), outside is the shield/-(negative).

This is for the shaker wiring? You will need 2 RCA male ends to hack up then to use. 2 more if you wish to get the aux in line working from the 3.5mm stereo input jack in your center console.

These are mono subs btw. Meaning with the stock head unit both of those 8' subs get both left and right speaker channels. Dual coil speakers.
Wiring would go as such depending if the JVC is mono or stereo out on the SW lines:
Left JVC "SW" plug:
Brown with orange stripe = positive (center RCA pin)
Red with black stripe = negative (outer RCA pin)

Right JVC "SW" plug:
same as above

main wiring harness:
Grey with yellow stripe is the turn on used for the radio, usually referred to as "IGN/ignition" on the JVC. It's actually the delayed accessory line(moving the key to the "ACC" position gives it power until you open a door with the key in the off position, or have the key to the off position for 10mins).

The red with white stripe is constant power, probably referred to as battery for the head-unit.

8pin harness:
The dark green with violet stripe turns on the shaker 500 factory amps for the door subs, this needs to be 5v. Which is explained in the walkthru previously linked from the stickied thread in this section. You want to wire that to the amp turn on wire from the JVC, and reduce the voltage on it going to the shaker amp turn on wire to 5v using either a 5v regulator, or a 1k-1.5k ohm resistor(1/2 watt).

Last edited by wayne613; 07-10-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

wow wayne thank you so much, ive been so busy with work lately i didnt have a chance to check this, so with that info i assume i wont be using the antenna, cellphone mute and illumination wires on the jvc harness.

I have the 2 RCA male ends, im not sure on how to wire them to the harness
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hinojosa
I have the 2 RCA male ends, im not sure on how to wire them to the harness
You'll need a multi-meter to check continuity to determine which wire goes to the center pin, and which goes to the outer for each of the RCA ends.

If not available, you could use a battery to power something to find out(making the wire end touch the - terminal, and have the + one already connected, seeing which pin completes the circuit). Or, see which end causes a spark with a 9v when you have one wire on a terminal on the 9v, then touch the center pin to the other 9v terminal briefly.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-18-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 AM
forsyther

Default Too curious to know about it

I am too curious to know more about it. If someone has the answer, then I request that person to update me at the earliest as I am too facing this issue.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

ok i already figured out with wires are for the outside and which ones for the actual connection, both RCAs will be wired to the same 2 cables of the 16pin(subs) harnesses right
Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

yes..
Old 07-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

wayne i know you must hate me but i still have one wire that i have no idea what to do with, it is light blue and has a cuation sticker that reads "This is not the wire for the power supply, please connect to the remote amplifier" is this the cable you said i need to connect the amps power to?

Quick Reply: Installing a new head unit