Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Am I missing something? -- my first audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 06:37 AM
stupidassdrummer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Am I missing something? -- my first audio upgrade

The best thing to do, but not always the cheapest is buy a better alternator. I think youll b perfectly fine as long as you pick up the other things mentioned. You can have as many caps as you want, they just wont handle a bass note that is drawn out. I have an 05 mustang now(plan on putting my subs in ther) but in my 92' toyota camry, I had my 10" alpine type X, and my hiphonics bx2005 amp w/ a 0gauge wiring kit. I was pushing about 1300 watts rms and about 2700 max. My lights dimmed but not a hell of allot. So if my POS 92 camry could take that for 2 years w/ a battery that was rated at 2 years, then your mustang can. OHHH also make sure you upgrade your ground wires from your bettery termianl and engine. When you install a ground on your amp to make sure it is the same size if not bigger than that wiring you have going into the amp.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

ORIGINAL: stupidassdrummer

The best thing to do, but not always the cheapest is buy a better alternator. I think youll b perfectly fine as long as you pick up the other things mentioned. You can have as many caps as you want, they just wont handle a bass note that is drawn out. I have an 05 mustang now(plan on putting my subs in ther) but in my 92' toyota camry, I had my 10" alpine type X, and my hiphonics bx2005 amp w/ a 0gauge wiring kit. I was pushing about 1300 watts rms and about 2700 max. My lights dimmed but not a hell of allot. So if my POS 92 camry could take that for 2 years w/ a battery that was rated at 2 years, then your mustang can. OHHH also make sure you upgrade your ground wires from your bettery termianl and engine. When you install a ground on your amp to make sure it is the same size if not bigger than that wiring you have going into the amp.
A 200 amp alt runs for 400+, thaty is by far not the cheapest. A better battery is the best way to go, money wise.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:47 AM
loud3
1st Gear Member

I see a lot of interesting comments.

First off. For your setup, do not even waste the money on a cap. A cap boosts your damping factor. For your first, basic install, you should not be concerned at all with this.

Later on down the road, you might want to look into upgrading the battery under your hood, but that is not a necessity.

Also, do not pay any attention to the ratings written on amp kits. Your wire has absolutely nothing to do with wattage. It has everything to do with current draw. I'll go into this in more detail later (although someone else already has).

You'll need:
Wiring Harness
RCAs
17(ish) ft of power.
no more than 18" of ground wire (same gauge as power)
15(ish) ft of remote (triggers the amplifier when to turn on, and when to turn off)
8(ish) ft of speaker wire (depends on where you are mounting the amp in reference to the enclosure)
Electrical tape
Self tapping screw (for the ground)
4 ga ring terminals (2)
4 ga spade terminals (depends on if the amp accepts spade terminals)
Wire ties (you want it to look good, don't you?!?)
Crimp caps (or butt connectors, but always use this insted of tape on the wire harness!!!)

Tips:
Run the RCA's down the OPPOSITE side of the car than your power wire. Helps reduce noise.
Adjust the gain in reference to the headunit. The gain is NOT a volume. Find out the pre-out value of your headunit (ie - 2volts, 4 volts... yadd yadda)
Have fun with it, and keep it clean!

My last set-up:
2 Crossfire VR2000D amplifiers
5 Stinger SP1000 Batteries
220amp Ohio Generator Atl
2 XTF 15" crossfire subs
8 ft^3 halfwall ported tuned to 36hz.
151.3 legal on the TL.

New setup:
2 ARC 8d4 subs
2 Ascendant Poly Mids
2 Diamond audio hex silk dome tweets

I think I'm getting too old for this. haha.