Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Rewired system & got smoke from sub??? Help

Old 06-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Mizicke5273
1st Gear Member

Default Rewired system & got smoke from sub??? Help

I was rewiring my system as the 1st time I did it, it was only a temp job ( a temp job that should have never even been done, but I was impatient). I had orignally wired my system with 8 gauge wire and a 50 amp fuse that I took out of my truck. I know that wasnt the best thing to do. But I planned to rewire it anyways, and tought that as long I as I didnt turn it up, it would be find. And it ran fine wired like that for about 5 months now.

The reason I used 8 gauge wire is that when i ordered my system, I ordered a 2 gauge wireing kit but I got a Kicker 1/0 gauge Kit. And I didnt want to run that big of wire.

But just last week it blew a fuse, so I replaced it and it blew again. I left the fuse out and decided to rewire it. I figured I would try using the 1/0 gauge Kicker kit, since it was all I had. I got everything hooked up and went to test it, but the sub wasnt working. The amp turned on, but would go into protect mode after a few sec. I shut the car off and turned it back on and it would do the same thing. I got out to go check the amp and I see smoke rising from my sub, and it was smoking pretty good. The only thing I can think of that I might of done wrong, was hook up the + & - connections on the sub wrong. I didnt feel like messing with it any more, so I just took out power and ground cables.

Everything worked fine up until last saturday when the fuse blew. Even all day last saturday it ran fine. I didnt change anything or do anything to my system or the car in months. So Im stuck as to what to do next, how to fix this problem, and get my stereo thumping agin. I know Ill probably have to get a new sub, but could something have happened to my amp?

I have a 12" Alpine Type R dual 4-ohm, powered by a Hifonics BXi 1606D, and its wired at 2-ohm.

Its been a lousy week and a horrible weekend.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:06 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rewired system & got smoke from sub??? Help

letting the smoke out of electronics is never good.... how did you connect the 0 awg to the amp? sounds like the amp possibly sent a high current dc signal to the sub. It would be like connecting the sub directly to the battery... Sounds like you could have some wiring issues, don't put anything else in until you find the problem...
Old 06-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Mizicke5273
1st Gear Member

I had the power 0/1 awg wire running to a 300a fuse under the hood, then to distro block right before the amp, and 4 awg wire running to the amp from the distro block. I had the 1/0 ground cable running to a distro block, and 4 awg wire to the amp from the distro block.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Mizicke5273
1st Gear Member

Any ideas why my sub was smoking after rewiring my system?

I dont want to replace the sub and have another one go cuz something was wrong with the amp.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:16 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

its probaly your amp that caused the magic smoke.sounds like what ttocs said.have any pics of your wiring?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Mizicke5273
1st Gear Member

No,I dont have any pics and I took the ground and power wires out.

How can I tell if my amp is screwed or if it was just a wireing problem? Or is it almost certain my amp is done for?

Old 06-30-2006, 01:48 AM
Dean53
1st Gear Member

smoke rising from the sub usually means you fried a voice coil. Are you able to move the cone up and down? if not, the sub is definitely done for. To check the amp I guess I would hook a power and ground and get out the trusty multi meter and see if you are getting a reading from the speaker leads. Or if the amp will even power up. Also, is the only fuse in the system on the 1/0 gauge? and did I read right that its a 300amp fuse? if so that fuse is pretty big...that could be the problem unless your total wattage on the system is in the 4500 wattage range. Watts law helps here... watts = amps x volts. So a 300 amp fuse x the battery voltage about 14 = 4200 watts. If your fuse is rated too high, it could be allowing the system to overload which damages the components. Remember, fuses are designed to blow in the event of an overload...thats a good thing. If you are running more amps off that distribution block, I would wire secondary fuses after the distribution block for each amp. Also, there should be fuses on the amp itself...did they blow or anything? Check out those things, and when you rewire I would get the proper fuses in place.....hope that helps some. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2006, 03:33 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you can often hear the voice coil dragging if you push the sub in and out.......
Old 06-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Mizicke5273
1st Gear Member

Ya it is a 300a fuse.

I only have the one hifonics amp and the type R sub, so my total watts is around 1100watts or less. The only other fuses are on the amp. My amp has 2x80a fuses, and they did not blow.

The amp would turn on for a few seconds before it would go into protect mode.

Im gona order another sub, 4awg wires, and a 120amp fuse. So hopefully its just the sub that blew and not the amp too.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:24 AM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

try taking the bottom cover off the amp and see if anything looks burnt.