Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installed WebElectric Sequential Taillights

Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Installed WebElectric Sequential Taillights

I spend a lot of last night installing the WebElectric Products Sequential Turn Signals/Taillights. All and all the trouble I ran into was still worth the $100 I saved by buying the DIY version vs. the Plug-n-play version.

As with the other WebElectric Products I've purchased, the instructions are VERY complete. I had thought about doing one of those "take a picture at every step" type things to making clearer for anyone else that trys this, but ultimately the instructions are virtually perfect. The first tail light took me about 45-60 minutes and that was only because I was super cautious and insisted upon electrical taping EVERYTHING back up so it loks completly factory again (not necessary though). The trouble came on the second side...

For those who do not know this obvious bit of info... if you are super-**** like me and have to electrical tape everything back up so it looks just like factory again... make sure you test it first! Simply plug the loose harness in and make sure all three lights sequence. I took for granted that they would (after the first one going off without a hitch) and this added a significant amount of time to my ordeal.

Here's what the issue was... On the "inside" bulb, which is not a OEM turn signal, you have to pop out the grommet on the back of the bulb housing and insert a "tab" (or "pigtail" I believe they called it) in to the empty position (3rd of 3). On the first side, this tab fit easily into this position. On the second side, it went in very hard with much resisitance. After I realized the inside light was not sequencing, I checked ALL the wiring... beat on the work bench, checked the wiring again, beat on the work bench, checked the bulb... you get the point. Ultimately, I found that the tab needed to be pushed even further into the bulb housing that the factory ones are. This took just about as much force and one can exert on a tiny little sodered tab in a plastic housing. I was just thinking, "I'm gonna snap this thing off if I press any harder" and then came a tiny, almost not able to be heard, "click". Apparently on that side, it took much more force to get the tab in place. I went to test it and viola!

Then all three bulbs sequenced as expected, putting everthing back in place took about 5 minutes and I now have some trick brake lights and turnsignals.

I know this was a long post, but I promised the Gods last night, as I was beating on the bench for the 4th or 5th time, that once I figured it out I would make sure I at least let everyone know what solved my problem, just incase you run into the same thing. It was probably only sheer frustration that got me to put that much force behind the tiny tab, which got it fully into place. Usually, I would never place that much force on a tiny sodered tab and a plastic housing.

Anyway, overall, had I not ran into that problem the entire install would probably not taken more than 60 minutes (from opening the box to washing my hands).

Again, considering all, I would still definitely go this route instead of the plug-n-plays where you have to send the stock harness back.

Okay... you can wake up now. It's over.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Installed WebElectric Sequential Taillights

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

So lets at least see the finished product!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

10-4, I'll get you pics, butwhat do you want pics of? I thought about that last night, but wasn't sure what pics would help with. Do you want pics/video of the sequencing tail lights/brake light (pretty much everyone has seen what they look like sequencing, I thought)? Or actual pics of the installed wiring harness? Help me, help you!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:32 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Sadly, I haven't seen what they look like sequencing in a mustang. I know, I need to get out more. But they don't appear to be as popular up here. I'd love to see how they look once fully installed

Not worried about the wiring harness, etc. If I ever did decide to do something similar, I'm sure I wouldn't have many problems with wiring.

Thanx
Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

No problem... well not really. But I can either find you a link to some of the websites that have video of it, or I can try and take some video myself tonight and upload it somewhere. Do you know where I can upload it and then link to it?

...searching of on-line video right now...
Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Found one... Hope this guy doesn't mind! But here is the link. He has video right near the top. This is the website that I found that actually got me wanting the sequentials.

Riscx Mustang
Old 08-08-2006, 02:21 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ive only seen them on 1 other stang in my area. i have them but its kinda hard to look at mine while driving...oh and the one i saw was an 05. looked really good.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Thanx for the link. I like how those look!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:01 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amrcnidyot

ive only seen them on 1 other stang in my area. i have them but its kinda hard to look at mine while driving...oh and the one i saw was an 05. looked really good.
Side note... dude whats with the Concept Camaro photo as your avatar?! Last time I checked this was a MUSTANG Forum! LOL, just bustin your chops. I like the way those look, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna look a little more realistic when the hit the lots. Speaking of which, I'm sick of all these Camaro lovers talk about them being available this fall! Last I heard they weren't even considering making them until like '09-'10. But I could be wrong, it's happened once before. Rant ends here.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

is there a way to do it on the 94-95's with the horozontally slotted lights?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed WebElectric Sequential Taillights