Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Best Aftermarket Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 PM
tim1200
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best Aftermarket Navigation

ORIGINAL: ttocs

I had an eclipse in the bay last week and could not stand that annoying and super loud BEEP everytime you touch anything...
I was thinking about this one until this post, I don't need another annoyance.
Thanks, ttoc you are a wealth of information.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

I had an eclipse in the bay last week and could not stand that annoying and super loud BEEP everytime you touch anything...
You can turn that off in the configuration, and I think change the volume if you still want the beep. I found that pretty annoying too.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:38 PM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

My hubby talked briefly with a stereo installer today and he said that a problem with one of the Pioneer systems (don't remember which) is that when the Shaker 500 uses the volume speed control, it shuts down the DVD player. True? Can it be worked around? Love the speed volume control in the 'vert.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:25 AM
2002 232 stang

I can get you a valor unit with navigation for about 1200 shipped. Might even be cheaper, if you are really intrested pm me.. comes with all these features
* NAV-1 GPS Navigation Unit Included in Package;

* Includes 512Mb SD Card and DVD-ROM Maps of U.S. and Canada, GPS Antenna and Interface Cable;

* Turn-By-Turn On-Screen Display;

* Voice Guidance;

* 11 Million Points of Interest Database;

* 2D/3D Map Views;

* Automatic Rerouting;

* Fully Motorized 7" LCD Screen;

* DVD Mechanism plays: DVD Video, CD Audio, VCD, MP3, and WMA;

* Tuner with 18FM/12AM Presets;

* Touch Screen Control of all Functions;

* Fully Interactive DVD Menu s on Touch Screen;

* Smart Dial Technology;

* SD Card Reader;

* Satellite RadiReady (Cable Included);

* Built-in iPod Interface (Cable Included);

* Built-in Bluetooth Cell Phone Interface for Hands-Free Dial/Answer;

* Built-in TV Tuner;

* Independent gain adjustments for Tuner, DVD/CD, AUX, Sat.Radio, iPod, Bluetooth, TV Tuner and SD Card;

* Plays MPEG 1, 2 MPEG4 Videfiles, Including, avi,Xvid;

* Built-in Dolby Digital Surround Sound Decoder;

* Plays DVD Audidiscs;

* Displays JPEG picture files;

* Plays MP3 and WMA Files Burned on DVD +/-R Discs;

* Normal/Reverse image for Rear Vision Camera input;

* 2.5 Volt 6-Channel RCA Line Level Output (Front, Rear,Center, Subwoofer);

* 24 Bit DAC s;

* Multi-Zone Function;

* Quasi Parametric Bass and Treble Tone Controls;

* High/Low Pass Electronic Crossovers;

* Last Position Memory on DVD Play Back;

* 1-1A/V Input;

* 2-Rear VideOutputs;

* 1-Rear Vision Camera Input;

* 336,950 pixel display;

* NTSC/PAL Compatible;

* Fixed 2 Channel AudiOutput for Rear Zone;

* 4x50Watts MOSFET Amplifie;

[IMG]local://upfiles/46679/E9F7DABF4DD34A959145DB8E58EC9A5A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tim1200

I was thinking about this one until this post, I don't need another annoyance.
Thanks, ttoc you are a wealth of information.
I am sure that there is probably a way to turn it off, at least I hope there is a way. I don't mind an audible confirmation that I touched something, but if I have my windows down the car next to me would hear it also......

Wealth of info? useless info......
Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

THat is high quality lookin piece........... I would be afraid it would lower my resale value of the car......
Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ncponygirl

My hubby talked briefly with a stereo installer today and he said that a problem with one of the Pioneer systems (don't remember which) is that when the Shaker 500 uses the volume speed control, it shuts down the DVD player. True? Can it be worked around? Love the speed volume control in the 'vert.
Thanks.
I'm a bit confused on that one. You're using a pioneer navigation unit in conjunction with the shaker system? My shaker system is sitting in the closet now and completely replaced with the Eclipse system. There may be some issues getting the speed volume control working on an after market unit because what used to be a speed pulse wire in the radio wiring harness vanished somewhere around when they went to the 2006 model year and they started using the CAN bus to get speed information to the shaker. Instead they have to tap the output shaft speed sensor at the computer under the hood.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: austijc

Thanks.
I'm a bit confused on that one. You're using a pioneer navigation unit in conjunction with the shaker system? My shaker system is sitting in the closet now and completely replaced with the Eclipse system. There may be some issues getting the speed volume control working on an after market unit because what used to be a speed pulse wire in the radio wiring harness vanished somewhere around when they went to the 2006 model year and they started using the CAN bus to get speed information to the shaker. Instead they have to tap the output shaft speed sensor at the computer under the hood.
Well, I don't know what I'm talking about obviously... I meant that I was wondering if the speed volume control that works on the Shaker will work on a new system. But you lost me somewhere between "speed pulse wire" and "tap the output shaft speed sensor". That's okay, though, there's no way I'd ever install anything myself anyway.[sm=smiley9.gif] Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Well, I don't know what I'm talking about obviously... I meant that I was wondering if the speed volume control that works on the Shaker will work on a new system. But you lost me somewhere between "speed pulse wire" and "tap the output shaft speed sensor". That's okay, though, there's no way I'd ever install anything myself anyway.[sm=smiley9.gif] Thanks for the info.
Well, that narrows it down a bit. No, the speed volume control will probably not work with an after market system, because they switched it to use the CAN bus. The CAN bus is a computer network that only their equipment can read. The "tapping the output shaft speed sensor" part means you can get a speed volume control on the after market system but it requires running a wire into the engine compartment and hooking into the engine control computer. I did that on mine but it was because it's a GPS unit that needs a speed sensor to work well. I'm not sure I'd go through all the trouble just for the volume control, but if some place is doing a flat rate for installs, why not?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Personally I'd suggest the Avic-D2 from Pioneer. It's a flush mount double din, so you don't have that annoying screen popping in and out. That screen would otherwise cover dash buttons and 12v port, possibly. Depends how high it went.

This product gives a clean from factory look. I'll look for a picture with my google-fu

And best of all you're looking at spending probably $1200 for one instead of $2000

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Navigation