Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2 single DIN units?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Viridian
2nd Gear Member

Default 2 single DIN units?

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered before, but I didn't find anything in my search.

I have an '02 GT coupe without the Mach sound system, and I was wanting to take the factory double DIN cd/cassette out and put in some mobile video. From what I've found, a single in-dash DVD/CD with a motorized LCD screen is VERY expensive. I was wondering if it was possible to install 2 separate single DIN units on top of each other. The top unit would be just a motorized screen, and the bottom unit would be a DVD/CD receiver. I can get both of these units at very good prices, and it would still cost half as much as a single DVD/CD/Screen combo.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:39 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2 single DIN units?

When I installed my new system in my car, i got the mounting bracket to make it a single din space with a little cd holder to take up the second. the thing is, the cd holder didnt seem to be a full din space size so i dont think you will be able to fit both the cd/dvd player and the screen unless you did some custom work with the dash.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:00 PM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

I have the same type of setup as 2k1gt and I also don't think that will fit. I think our factory radios are 1 1/2 din size.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:32 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

The stock radio is a full 2 din radio...the reason you end up with only half a din space left when you put a single din in is because of all the room the mount takes up compared to the 2mm piece of metal that would go around the headunit if you put a single din in a single din space or a double din in a double din space. So as everyone else said you could make 2 singles fit only if you wanted to do some serious work to the center councel. You could put the screan in the place where the headunit was and put the dvd/cd either under the passenger seat or in the trunk or down where the fog lights/defog switchs are and just move the switches.

Personaly I would put a nice non-motorized touch screan in the dash and put a PC in the trunk. You could all your cd's to the PC's harddrive and even copy your dvd's if you know what your doing. You just need a PC with a DVD player and a radio tuner if you want to have FM radio...you don't even need that if you go with xm.

If you want to go the PC route and have question just send me a PM.

-Marc
Old 07-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Viridian
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replys. I didn't think 2 separate units would fit in the dash without some work. I also don't know if I want to put a PC in the car or not.

The reason I want to go with a motorized screen is to make the stereo as subtle as possible for would-be thieves. I don't really want to make my car more of a target than it already is (why do so many people hate Mustangs?).

I'll go ahead and keep looking for a decently priced all-in-one lcd/dvd/cd player.

Thanks again,