Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Convertible Stereo? Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 02:44 AM
ultimate_008

Default Convertible Stereo? Need Advice

I got my GT convertible yesterday. The Mach 460 is horrible for playing hip-hop music with a lot of bass. I was thinking of keeping the system but adding some subs. Does anyone know if they make custom subwoofer enclosure for convertible mustangs?? Also, what speakers should I get to replace the Mach speaker while keeping the factory amp.

thanks.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:27 AM
ultimate_008

Default RE: Convertible Stereo? Need Advice

I have spent all day looking for a subwoofer box to fit in the trunk of my convertible. No one seems to have any of those. Apparently, it is a big problem everyone with convertibles have.

I need help.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

why not fabricate your own? I tried to reply to this thread earlier but the post got lost or something... You want to replace your speakers with aftermarket... GREAT! Well... now here's your problem... you want to drive aftermarket speakers with stock equipment... that's like having a yugo engine in a porsche... great body, great product, ****ty engine. Your sound engine (Head Unit/Amp) should compliment your speakers, not hinder them. The 460 is a good model for a stock stereo but if you upgrade, don't keep any of the stock system, you'll be happier with it later. A subwoofer is going to be a problem simply because your hood goes into the back of your rear seat making space for a sub pretty much a non-entity... you'll probably end up needing to remove the rear seat and find enough space for either an 8" or a 10" sub with probably a single voice coil and have to make your own box to conform to the area in there.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:10 PM
ultimate_008

A guy at best buy told me that the best alternative is to get one of those jl W3 subs that hit pretty hard and do not require alot of space. As for the box, I was trying to find something similar to what comes stock with the Mach 1000 system.

I really am not ready (financially) to upgrade my entire system. That's why I want to keep all the speakers but crossover all the low frequency notes to an AMP that powers a sub. That should be alright.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

don't go to best buy... going there is like going to walmart and asking a stocker questions on their high performance car equipment...

You want to get a sub/amp combo and work it off your stock system... get a speaker level to line level convertor and send those rcas into an amp and fromt he amp to the sub.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:38 PM
ultimate_008

get a speaker level to line level convertor and send those rcas into an amp and fromt he amp to the sub.
So the tock amps can't be wired to an aftermarket amp dedicated to the sub? They don't have crossover??
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

you don't want to use sotck amps even if they had the capability... they don't have big enough capacitors and resistors to handle an aftermarket sub... even an 8"

What you want to do is get a nice little 8" single voice coil sub, fabricate a custom box to go right under the vert top and behind the rear seat and hook it up to a nice but cheap amp. run speaker wire from your rear speakers to your line level convertor and then rcas to your amp and then speaker wire to your subs. 8G power wire is fine for you.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:03 PM
ultimate_008

Does anyone know how many speakers the stock system actually comes with. In my car, there is a pair of tweeters mounted next to the mirrors and some midrange (I think) on the door. There are 2 speaker grilles on each side of the car and was wondering if there is a speaker in each grille??
Anyone with a convertible should know...
Old 08-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

my rental had components up front and components in the back, total 8 speakers. (4 sets of 2)
Old 08-06-2004, 07:57 PM
ultimate_008

Yeah, I found a site explaining the different components of the mach 460. I think its pretty cool it comes with 8 speakers. I just need to find a single subwoofer box, similar to those that come with the mach 1000 system, that would fit in my minuscule trunk.

If someone knows, that would be great help.

Quick Reply: Convertible Stereo? Need Advice