Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

1 12" or 2 10's???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:23 AM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1 12" or 2 10's???

My first choice was 2 10" pioneers from the premier line, but the installer recommended anything but pioneer. His recommended Alpine, MTX or Kicker.
He doesn't sell Pioneer does he? He sells Alpine, MTX and Kicker.

it is true though. and i am an alpine owner here. completely UNsatisfied with the Type-R subs and speakers.
It's about time someone other than me, hisss, and preal figured this out. Nice to have you on board laser.

I'm not worried about it. If they sound like crap, I'm only out about $50. I got them from a friend of mine so if I don't like how they sound, I'll just get something different.
You truly cant ever have too many car electronics laying around.

Anyone that advocates purchasing Audiobahn, will do the same for taking a lightly lubricated pineapple up their **** cavity.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:35 AM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Actually, the majority of the products they sell is Pioneer. They do sell Alpine and Kicker, but they don't sell anything by MTX. And MTX was his first choice. He also recommended a site to get Alpine Tweeters that would fit nicely in my car that sound great, but he hasn't e-mailed it to me yet.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:03 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

actually the tweeters are pretty much the thing i hate MOST about my system. and seight i've been on board for a while now lol. actually i never claimed that my system was better than anyones but everyone ragged on my for how much i spent on my system. then i realized it WAS so overpriced compared to better stuff i could get for cheaper. but yea thanks for accepting me on board haha.

i've had the Alpine system for over a year now and it just makes driving a V6 Auto THAT much worse to drive. i can't stand the shrill harsh tweeters and the distorting subs. the midbass is decent, but i would like more. i've already disconnected my rear speakers and haven't looked back. i just have to decided if i am going to keep this car to finish college or try and sell it and get a GT/Bullitt/Mach 1. because if i am going to keep it (at least 2 more years until i graduate) the first thing i am doing this summer is RE-doing the system.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: PReal

OMG, this keeps getting worse and worse.

I'm sorry. I have heard 3 different lines of audiobahn subs with various power supply and different enclosure types (ported and sealed)

Not a single audiobahn woofer I have ever heard resembled anything close to sound quality. If all you have heard is MTX and audiobahn, MTX will be the winner. I'm not saying MTX is bad, but you can do significantly better for the price. Sometimes if you want the best deal for the money you can't listen to the speakers before you buy them. You have to rely on the opinions of others.

When I needed new front comps, I wanted the best value for the money. I trusted a reputible person on the caraudio.com forum and got great speakers for the money. Sincethat experience I have been trying to help guide people in the right direction. I have heard a lot of different brands and models. I have heard audiobahns and MTX's along with a lot of other brands.

If you want expereince rely on the opinions of those I mentioned earlier, if you don't spend your money on whatever you want. If you listen to those that have listened to us, you'll find they were happy customers.
I'm not pushing brand, I'm pushing the 'fit your needs'. Everyone in my group thought that LanZar sucked **** (they were huge Cerwin Vega and Harmon Kardon fans) Keep in mind this was late 80's early 90's. I ended up buying a 12" lanzar after finding it would work best in the enclosure that was built in terms of space, tuning, etc. I rolled up and let my buddies listen to it after everything was in. They all thought I had gone with their recommendations based on the sound quality...nope. Floored every single one of them. All things being equal in a blind listeningtest I really doubt ANYONE can tell the difference between most decent brands without knowing in advance what they will be listening to.

That's like saying one speaker wire will make a speaker sound better another speaker wire. If you match the speaker with the enclosure and match the amp to the speaker and so on down the line you won't lose. Brand loyalty is ridiculous.
I would love to have a couple of those old optidirve us made lanzar amps or subs those were great. Few people also respect those old hyper pro subs. Those little boogers could get loud in the right enclosure. ROE has some great vids of those subs.

All I try to do is fit the best woofer in the best situation. As you stated brand loyalalty is ignorant, but certian brands that do not get gobbled up by another compnay and stay true to thier roots can offer great products that few people know about.An MTX woofer can be out performed by any number of brands for the same or less cost in the same enclosure.

You are wrong about the listening thing. I never said anyone would be able to tell the brand by the sound, they would with enough expereince, but the sound quality between the two would be evident. I I hooked up visonik $20 experiment and installed it in place of my eclipse sw8122 there would be a very very distinct difference between the sound of the two. The eclipse would sound better, period.

What really sucks about a lot of shops is they have to drop higher quality lines that dont get the marketing hype. This leads to poor recomendations from a short product line.

With a budget and what you want we cna get you a great sub system. The ones I previously mentioned would work well in a number of configurations and are only a starting point.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:35 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

I tried a couple of different boxes today and it looks like I have to go with 1 or 2 10's. A box for a 12 won't fit in my car. So I'm going to get a single 10 for now and then get another 10" later on if I'm not happy with the way the bass hits.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

You definitely will not be happy with a pre-fab box.

That's a most certainty.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:07 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Well i dont agree with The hate of audiobahn, but i will agree with hisss' state ment of you will hate prefab.... prefab sucks *** i sent 250 on the materials to make my custom box to fit in my '88 caddi.

I dont know how much yall pay for your audiobahn's but i got mine for $35 through a friend who's a wholesale dealer for them.

I thought about get treo, but that was a long time ago, way before i went to boot and SOI and machine gun school and now im "hard of hearing" so i just do visual, very little audio work anymore.....cuz i cant hear them that good.

A 12" will fit in your car with a custom install i've done it now you lose trunk space and ****, but who need that?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

um with a proper custom enclosure you can actually lose LESS trunk space than some random pre-fab. its true. my 2 10" box is tiny because the sealed recommendations from Alpine are that the Type-Rs do not require a huge box. so mine is only as big as it needs to be.

it all depends on the sub and its required/recommended box size.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred38

um with a proper custom enclosure you can actually lose LESS trunk space than some random pre-fab. its true. my 2 10" box is tiny because the sealed recommendations from Alpine are that the Type-Rs do not require a huge box. so mine is only as big as it needs to be.

it all depends on the sub and its required/recommended box size.
Very nice post.

ORIGINAL: USMCrebel

Well i dont agree with The hate of audiobahn, but i will agree with hisss' state ment of you will hate prefab.... prefab sucks *** i sent 250 on the materials to make my custom box to fit in my '88 caddi.

I dont know how much yall pay for your audiobahn's but i got mine for $35 through a friend who's a wholesale dealer for them.

I thought about get treo, but that was a long time ago, way before i went to boot and SOI and machine gun school and now im "hard of hearing" so i just do visual, very little audio work anymore.....cuz i cant hear them that good.

A 12" will fit in your car with a custom install i've done it now you lose trunk space and ****, but who need that?
I'm really sorry but you loose credibility for two things in that statement.

1. Audiobahn really is junk, thats why you pay $35 a sub. I know they get loud, but the brand is built on marketing hype, not quality subwoofers.
2. What box on earth cost you $250 to build, DIY fiberglass is way cheaper then that, and its expensive.
3. My 12" is in a box that is less then .75ft^3. It doesn't take up much room at all.