Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

S-197 Help w/ AVIC-D3

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
xxdmxx
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: AVIC-D3 Answers

I know this is a really late post, but does with the Avic-D3 can you keep the Speed Sensitive Volume?
Old 03-14-2008, 03:15 PM
IndyBlueGT

No thats an OEM feature that is built into the head unit.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 PM
randy65

Default RE: AVIC-D3 Answers (W/ Install write-up from nonstopred)

Thanks for the great write up. I'm in the process of replacing my Shaker 500 HU with a Pioneer P8000BT. It's a new unit with all the latest connections (USB, built-in BT, IPOD, etc.) Don't need the nav or DVD so I went with this just released model. I'm adding XM butkeeping the stock speakers for now.

I'm puttingthe wiring harness together using these instructionsand haveseveral questions:
1. The Metra 70-5521 has an extra blue wire in the large connector. It's next to the orange/white wire. The Crutchfield instructions don't say what this wire is for and the pictures in this post don't give a clear visual.
2. The yellow/black Mute wire in the Pioneer harness won't be used in my setup? (With no DVD I'm not doing the speed bypass obviously)
3.The Pioneer harness has an orange/white ILL wire that splices directly into the orange/white on the Metra harness. Is the illumination tap still necessary?
4.Clarify the sub hookup.If I'm reading correctly the Shaker 500 uses one sub amp for both doors; therefore, Ionly need to hookup one of the RCA jacks. Either one? Or is red or white preferred? The other just dangles behind the dash I suppose.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll post pictures upon completion. The 8000BT has a high gloss finish so I'm curious what it will look like.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 AM
randy65

Called Crutchfield to give their support a shot. Here's what I found out. The support person was Rich. Seemed pretty knowledgeable, he was even aware of the 5V regulator fix.

The phantom blue wire goes to the two blue/white amp wires on Metra's small connector. It's part of the amp on/off circuit. He didn't know why it wasn't shown on the official wiring diagram.Can anyone confirm? This doesn't seem to match nonstopred's pictures. The blue wire is visible but almost appears to be in the speaker side of the harness.

The Mute wire is unused. It is only necessary when using a separate BT system.

The orange/white ILL wire will provide the necessary day/night functionality. It should not need a separate connection in the Mustang headlight harness.

He said both the red and white RCA's are plugged into the HU sub out. Thiscontradicts some of what I've read elsewhere. Reports are conflicting though.

I appreciate any confirmation or other feedback.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:02 AM
GTtorch06
1st Gear Member

Hey.
So i got myself an AVIC-D3 and couldn't be happier with it.

My only question is if there is a way to plug in other mp3 players into it using the aux output in the bottom left of the system. I wouldn't consider it necessary, I'm more or less just curious if it will before i go out and buy myself a 20$ cable.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:10 AM
randy65

I was able to locatea Mustang wiring diagram that showed the factory mate to the Metra harness. Based on pin positions the blue wire does not connect to anything on the 05-08 Mustangs. Since the harness is for multiple Ford vehicles, I assume the blue wire is used in some applications. My guess would be power antenna, in which case it probably does tie into the amp turn on circuit. This would signal the amp and power antenna to turn on.

An additionalconfirmation is that the Mustangradio harness doesNOT contain a dimmer wire. The orange/white wire in the Metra harness has no mate in the factory harness.Therefore, simply hooking up the orange/white wire between the Metra harness and Pioneer harness will NOT enableday/night mode. As suggested onthis and other forums, the orange/white ILL wire in the Pioneer harness requires a separate tap wire totheheadlight switched circuit.

I'll update as required as I work through my installation.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 AM
sp44
2nd Gear Member

Yeah blue is for power antenna. What else you installing, bluetooth, ipod, xm, sirius, hd radio?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
randy65

Thanks for the reply sp44. I'm installing a separate XM unit only. My head unit (Pioneer FH-P80000BT) comes with built in bluetooth, one reason I went with that unit. Not much room in a Mustang for multiple add-on boxes!

Installation went fairly well this weekend.The HU is in and working. Sounds pretty good despite the avg Shaker 500 speakers. Better than the Shaker that's for sure. Followedall the install and wiring instructionsin this post. No major issues although I do recall cursing a few times!!! The harnesses behind the dash panelare a real hassle for first-timers. And I'm definitely not fond of the Metrainstall kit. Just doesn'tprovide a real flush,evenfit around a DDin HU and alignment with the Mustang dash is sketchy. Needed to use a couple of washers behind the top screws to achieve reasonable alignment.I'm still not real happy withoutcome so may eventually pull the radio out and redo. Anyone have experience with the Scosche kits?Do they provide a better fit in the Mustangs?

The only unsolved matter is the dimmer tap. Either my tap didn't make good connection or I'm tapping the wrong wire. It is the black wire, correct? Next to orange/gray along the top row of the headlight switch?

If anyone is interested in photos let me know.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:32 AM
randy65

Dimmer wireproblem solved on my 2007.The factory harness does not include a dimmer wire and the picture in this post doesn't clearlyshow which wire totap in the headlight switch.I could not locate a pinout for the plug but found a referencein another forum. The correct +12V wire to tap is the 2nd wire from the bottom on the right side of the left plug. On a 2007 model thewire is light orange ortan.I connected mine and the dimmer works great. I hope this helps someone else havingdimmer wire questions. [/align]
Old 04-21-2008, 02:56 PM
awsomeaussies206
2nd Gear Member

I got a question about the ipod hookup. Since the 07's already have the jack in the center consol... do I still need to buy the Ipod Adapter for the Avic? Or would the factory one hook right in the back of it?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: S-197 Help w/ AVIC-D3