Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Custom Trunk Finished!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:40 AM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom Trunk Finished!

So I`ve been working on this for about 3 months, which translates to about 4 days (whenever I wasn`t lazy and had free time).

2x 10`` Infinity 1030Ws
Excelon 4x75W RMS
Excelon 1x600W RMS
Macrom M2S.61 components up front
Macrom M3C.61 coaxials in the rear

I`m quite happy with it, and it was a fun project.

Note: It`s all designed to be completely modular, and easily removed for going to the track.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:38 AM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Custom Trunk Finished!

not my choice in equipment but looks very nice
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

man that why is always the first comment here......

Looks perty good mang....... I always like to ask what the installer would have done differently if he/she could do it over? What kicked yer *** in that trunk? I am also curious why you used such a thick piece for the trunk cover?

I am in the process of doing my trunk right now although until I get some sound damping in there the amps are just sitting in the wheel well. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:28 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttocs

man that why is always the first comment here......

Looks perty good mang....... I always like to ask what the installer would have done differently if he/she could do it over? What kicked yer *** in that trunk? I am also curious why you used such a thick piece for the trunk cover?

I am in the process of doing my trunk right now although until I get some sound damping in there the amps are just sitting in the wheel well. Keep up the good work!
lol, thank you for saying what I was thinking... It doesn't matter what someone else used unless they're asking advice on it.

The one thing I would have done differently is materials for the false floor and trunk lid cover (as you alluded to). They`re both 1/2`` MDF, and the false floor should be more like 1/2`` plywood (whatever the lightest weight panelling is), and the trunk lid should be 1/4`` something lightweight also. I used what I used simply based on what was easily available to me.

Yea, I was embarassed to show people my trunk when it was just 2 amps and 2 crossovers sitting in there, now when people ask I`m proud to showoff my equipment.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

The setup looks great, I've never heard of Macrom comps. Who makes them?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:53 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal

The setup looks great, I've never heard of Macrom comps. Who makes them?
Thanks, www.macrom.it they're an italian company and they make a truly stunning product. Neodymium powered soft dome tweeters, aluminum cone mids, listening to piano or acoustic guitar and vocalist in the car is just breath taking. And they remain clean up to insane levels as well.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:45 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

macrom makes good stuff. It isanother one of the many high end, not so heard brands..... I could own a set. I guess I should quit waiting for someone to chime in on a post like this with "that is exactly what I would do with the exact same equipment!", that will probably happen as soon as micheal vic(SP?) is head of the ASPCA huh?

Plywood is never really used in automotive areas as it does not do well with the temp and weather changes, baltic birch is about the best.

if you know how to use a router it wouldbe really easy to copy those panels onto the desired thickness of wood you want.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

nice install man.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:55 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

what did you use to make the raised lettering?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:00 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bikeboy587

what did you use to make the raised lettering?
For the "MUSTANG" I traced my chrome bumper letter inserts onto matte board (the stuff you use for framing) because it's very readily available to me, and it's also very dense. I spray adhesived all the letters to the MDF panel, then spray adhesived the carpet on, I used screwdrivers and paint can stir sticks to push the carpet down around the edges while the glue dried giving a nicely defined edge. Of course a good bit of detail was lost in the horse, but that was to be expected.

To get the GT, I got a vector drawing off the net of the logo, printed it out the size I wanted and again traced it onto matteboard.

Note: 4 layers of matte board stacked was necessary to raise the carpet up enough for the embossing to show well.

Quick Reply: Custom Trunk Finished!