Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

is this a good cumbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:34 PM
link1235jeff
2nd Gear Member

Default is this a good cumbo

i have two of these and was wondering if it would be a good combo
i wont them to hit hard
(i listen to rap, hip hop, country, alternitive rock and rock )

MTX Audio Road Thunder RT12-44
Subwoofer

CarDomain Overview

MTX takes ragin' looks, ground-pounding performance, and unbeatable value to a whole new level. The totally revamped Road Thunder series subwoofers feature Spider Plateau Venting for cooler voice coil operation and greater reliability during heavy bass passages. Instead of “pushing and pulling” super-heated air over the voice coil like conventional, rear vented subwoofers, Road Thunders shed the heat out the sides of the spider. The result is cooler operation during all-night “crank-it-up” bass sessions. Asymmetrical Linear Drive (ALD) technology, used on all MTX Audio subs, provides high output with low distortion, thanks to flat progressive spiders and extended pole pieces. These subs are packed with features to help dissipate heat and deliver thunderous bass output. Road Thunder subs have screaming red steel baskets, 1" voice coils with Apical voice coil formers, and machined front and back plates. The unique radius venting on the pole piece minimizes turbulence that occurs during large excursions, so when you turn the music WAY up, you won't hear that "heavy breathing" sound (unless it's your own). All of these features add to the Road Thunder's phenomenal value.
Please note that MTX Audio amplifiers and speakers are only shipped to destinations within the USA.

Features

Asymmetrical Linear Drive Technology
Polypropylene Cone
New Concave Dust Cap
Screaming Red Steel Frame
20 oz. Strontium-Ferrite Magnet
Dual 1" Voice Coils with Apical Former
Red Stitched Surround
Radius Vented Pole Piece
Mounting Depth: 3.5"

Subwoofer Specifications

Size: 12 inch
Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 1.25 cu.ft.
Rec. Ported Box Dims: 2.00 cu.ft.
Free Air Usage: yes
Sensitivity: 96 dB
Frequency Response: 33-150 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 200W
Peak Power Handling: 400W
Impedance: dual 4 ohms subwoofer wiring options

and

Power Acoustik LT1920/2
2-Channel Amp

The new LT series from Power Acoustik sets new standard for cosmetics and performance. The unique die cast aluminum heatsink sports a novel diamond cut finish with powder-coated insets for aggressive looks and excellent cooling properties. Plus, the end panels and top mounted controls are backlit with a cool blue glow for the ultimate finishing touch. Built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers with variable frequency control eliminates the need for an external crossover and makes the LT1920/2 ideal for driving subwoofers or full-range speakers with clean Power Acoustik power. Other features include full Mosfet PWM power supply, variable bass boost, variable subsonic filter to help protect your subs, and gold-plated input terminals.
Features:

Diamond Cut Heatsink with Powder-Coated Insets
Blue Backlit End Panels and Top Controls
PWM Mosfet Power Supply
Variable 30-500 Hz Low-Pass Crossover
Variable 50-500 Hz High-Pass Crossover
Top Mounted Controls with Removable Clear Cover
Variable 60-200 Hz Subsonic Filter
Variable 24 dB Bass Boost
Tri-Mode Capable
2-Ohm Stereo / 4-Ohm Mono Stable
3-Way Protection Circuit
Gold-Plated Input Terminals
4 Gauge Power and Ground Connections
RCA Outputs

2-Channel Amp Specifications

Amplifier Type: 2-channel
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 370W x 2
THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.02 %
Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 880W x 1
Speaker Level Inputs: No
Preamp Outputs: Yes
Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
Bass Boost: 0 - 24 dB
Frequency Response: 10-30,000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: 98 dB
Fuse Rating: n/a

do yall think thats a good combo
Old 03-02-2005, 02:40 AM
dustin

Default RE: is this a good cumbo

man thats too much to read. but i had a buddy in high school who had mtx's and they hit pretty hard. can't remember what he had pushing them though.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:21 AM
98stngfrk
2nd Gear Member

MTX used to be a great speaker but has been really slack lately with thier products haveing many problems, if you are stuck on MTX though i would go with something more than those, at least the 6000 series. Also check out the new JL w1v'2s they are not expensive and sound good. As for the amp, not really a big fan of power acoustic. Go with Directed Electronics, also Soundstream is a decent brand that isn't really expensive, but i would go with Directed any day.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:33 PM
link1235jeff
2nd Gear Member

saying that i alreasy own mtx is the amp good for them
Old 03-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

with your amp being rated higher thne your subs there is a good chance you will eventually blow or melt your sub if you only use one sub then there is a huge chance you blow it. thats cuz the amp will be giving it more power then it can handle. if you use 2 subs then you should aight. i have a 700 watts amp goin to one 600 watt sub and i have only melted it once mostly because it was the summer. But circuit city hates me cuz i have a warranty on another sub and blow polks and audiobahns like it was my job. wat ever you do get a WARRANTY you will need it if u want them to beat
Old 03-02-2005, 07:51 PM
98stngfrk
2nd Gear Member

It's better to overpower a sub than to underpower a sub. Anyway's i would try and get around a 500 or 600 watt class D amp. I still wouldn't recommend a Power Acoustic amp, the power they claim an amp has on many of the amps they sell is lower than what they say it rates. Also power acoustic tends to have many problems. In the world of car audio and electronics it is true that you get what you pay for. Just shop around a while and find something that you know will be a good decent amp, save up a little extra cash if you have to just don't jump on the first system you find.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:23 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

MTX is OK, but not the best. MTX charges too much for their products too. Your better off going with alpine, clarion, kicker,pioneer.. anything but Sony or MTX the amp is ok too my dad had two of them in his jeep and they sounded good. The key to car audio is you get what u pay for... Since you listen to rap an hip hop like me then go with KICKER. its the best bang for the buck. Thats what I have and my stereo beats anyones around where I live. U wont be dissapointed
Old 03-03-2005, 01:27 AM
dustin

I say rockford fosgate!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

If you get 1 12 inch kicker L7 with at least a 500 watt rms amp. It will hit harder than 3 of those mtx's. And since you have a hatch, it will sound even better, from the sound hittting the glass. My friend has one in his accord hatch and it hits SOOOOO HARD!! He just got a second ticket for his subs "sound pollution and disturbing the peace" lol we used to always go out and set peoples alarms off... GOOD TIMES!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
rednblackdawg
1st Gear Member

As far as an amp goes, look into the Soundstream Van Gogh series. They are extremely efficient and very clean. They are also pretty inexpensive. Go to www.onlinecarstereo.com and look at the Soundstream VGA 800.2 a two channel amp which puts out 200w rms to both channels.

Quick Reply: is this a good cumbo