Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Late model Ford head unit in a Fox?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Late model Ford head unit in a Fox?

I suppose my username does not fit anymore, as I have finally found a Fox to fit my budget. I'm looking to replace the weak factory cassette deck in my 91 convertible. I've only had it a couple weeks, so I'm not even sure if it's a premium sound set-up. The car is bone-stock, and I'd like to keep that appearance. I was wondering if some of the tall cd or cd/cassette decks from more recent Fords or Lincolns would fit the factory space in a Fox without modifying(i.e. butchering) the dash. I'm sure the plugs are incompatible, and I'll probably end up with an external amp and better speakers, but I like the look of a factory unit. Has anybody done this, and if so are there height/width/depth issues?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:46 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Late model Ford head unit in a Fox?

the wiring would be different but that would not be a big deal. There is enough space to put a new deck into a fox but mounting will be a bit difficult. The newstyle radios need the dash to be stiff as well as a certain size to be able to snap into place and be held properly. I am not sure what the exact difference in widths would be between the two but more then likely it will not be much.I am willing to bet that if you are a crafty engineer that it could be done....
Old 11-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Technically the fox is a TRUE double-din. I.E. a din radio on top of a din pocket.... most of the newer ford, lincoln, merc radio's are a din and 7/8ths. (exept the 05+style mustang and some others) but if you're looking at any one of the millions of radios between 94and 04 that look "double-din"ish, they may not be so measure first. I know that any car that uses the model number K-550 mounting kit by a.i. is a 1 and 7/8ths DIN, NOT A DOUBLE DIN, so you would have a gap, sure you could make it work, but not just pop it in, it'll be too short. Let me know what make and model or car the radio came out of and i'll tell you if it'll fit.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

The head units I've looked at are ones like those in the late model Grand Marquis or Lincoln Town Car- something plain and simple, with the squared-off buttons and green display that looks more 'stock' and less obtrusive i.e. more likely to leave me with a hole in the dash and the convertible top. I know some Ford radios are more vehicle specific because of their faceplate. If the 'almost' double DIN would leave a slight gap, I don't think that would be an issue; that could be disguised. Is mounting depth an issue? From the looks of it, a lot of the latemodel Ford factory radios use the same retainer/release as the Mustang.

By the way Dave, your black LX reminds me of my first 5.0. It was a daily driver here in Illinois, so the tin worm killed it. Sob,Sob.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:33 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you have plenty of room as far as depth goes, and there is also plenty of room under it for add on modules(satalite radio ect) as there is a factory amp mounting spot under it.. You should probably pull the radio out real quick and get a look at the back of it to see if you have a premium head unit that you would have to wire into. As dave said there would be a small gap but that is easier to deal with then if the head unit was 1/8 bigger then the hole you have. Ford radios use a rear hanger that the radio uses to stabilize the back as well as to slide in and out with and this would also be helpfull if you can get it to work for you. I think it could be done and the radio you described sounds like the one I had stock in my 97 ranger.

I would recommend staying away from the newer model indash changers however as they jam too often, it would not be worth the trouble.....
Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Thank you both for the help! I'll be keeping my eye out for a Ford deck, hopefully a take-out, now. Ttocs, I have to compliment you also on your car. I have always loved the look of a Mustang in dark colors(green/black/blue)-especially a sleeper. Why advertise when you don't need to? The rims on both your cars(yours and Dave's) just add a subtle touch of menace and aggression-very nice. There are a lot more clean 94-04s around here than Foxes, but the back seat on the SN95 won't seat my small fries. When I found a nice Twilight Blue conv. I jumped on it.

I'm torn with my 'new' 91. It's bone stock(it still has the intake silencer) but I'd like to do some mild underhood mods next spring- maybe bring it to Cobra+ specs(GT40 intake,FRPP headers/exhaust and GT40X heads).

Thanks again- I'll probably pull the head unit this weekend to take a looksee.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Cool, good luck man, its a decently easy job. If you need the reverse harness that plugs into the back of the factory radio you'll be installing you can get 'em cheap from crutchfield. Just make sure you ask them for a REVERSE harness to plug into the factory deck you'll be installing, and get a regular harness to plug into you're car. If you're talking about the late model 1995-2007 crown vic, 1998-2004 town car, 1995-2005 grand marquis factory radios with the little green number display then you are 100% looking at din and 7/8ths radios....... just get a piece of abs plastic cut to 1/4 inch think to take up the gap on the top or bottom depending on how you position the radio.
Thanks for the wheel compliment. I didn't want to go aftermarket. I wanted people that don't know mustangs to think it may have came like that (little do they know that there is no such thing as a 5 lug lx rolling off the assembly line)
Drop a line if you get more ?'s
Old 11-24-2007, 01:42 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the compliments on the car. I have been trying to keep the exterior mods subtle but mean. I added a chrome and black pinstripe which I have been happy with. I have a side exhaust kit that needs to have therocker panels replaced(hopefully santa will have room) but otherwise the outside is done.

Small fries have a hard time fittin in most stangs, but they fit better then large fries(adults). I have always been a fox fan as I loved the hatch backs myself but mom bought a SN95, what could I do?

I still have the factory radio that came out of my 97 ranger if that is the style you are looking for(large buttons, green display, push button power/volume ****). It does not have cd changer controls but you could easily bypass your factory amp(if thereis one, no need to be honest)and plug it straight into this deck. It has been sitting in my garage so I would need to pull it out and test it but make it worth a trip to the post office for me and it can be at your door if you want.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Well, I finally picked up a new head unit. I was told it's a takeout from a Lincoln(2008) Town Car. From what I can tell by the plugs in back, it's a 'Phase 2 with audiophile"(3 sockets plus antenna). I'd like to use the 2008 Lincoln male-plug harness to join up with a reverse(female) 91 Mustang harness to avoid cutting the factory wiring, but Crutchfield says they don't have a harness and don't know how to do this. (I can't check the '91 right now cause I've got it in winter storage, but I think it's the six speaker setup.)

Is there a suitable set of harness adapters for this project?

I want to replace the speakers, and could also use some recommendations there. I still want to go low profile, so only what can hide behind the stock grills. I don't need ultimate fidelity in a convertible, just decently clean, loud music. Crutchfield has some Blaupunkts, Kenwoods and Kickers that would fit the budget...

Any idea of the amp specs on the 2008 head unit? Can I use this with the original Mustang amp (assuming it has the factory outboard amp) or am I better off with a new aftermarket unit that I can attach to the stock harness?

Thanks for any and all help with this mess I'm about to get myself into!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:46 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I cannot imagine what it will take to mount and wire that new deck into your car. I don't know if it will work or can be done....