Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Speaker setup...clueless

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speaker setup...clueless

They are not woofers...I think. I have not bought them yet, I already own the 5x7 type r speakers and tweeters from my old car, an alpine deck, and the amp. I cant take the amp back, its 1 year old, as is all the equipment. So basically, I cant use this amp to power the 6 speakers in my car. I need a different amp? Basically, I just bought this mustang, and am reusing my old stereo equipment from my old car. I am also going to buy some new equipment, like the 6.5's and 3.5's because, well, this car needs them. So, I can get whatever I need as regards the 6'5's and 3.5's. Whether they be woofers...or whatever.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

That guy really did take you for a ride. You have speaker options for 3.5"s in the dash, 6.5" in the front door, and tons of options for the rear.

Are the 6.5" you have comps or coaxs?

Being a newb, i would go with6.5" coax's all around. There is one amp, all speakers easily installed, done deal. unless you wanted some other setup, but it sounds like you are fresh to this.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Ok, hold on. I was not taken for a ride. I bought an alpine deck, amp, and the 1 set of component 5x7 type r's. This was installed on a miata. I have sold that car long since, I have these audio pieces sitting around, and I now just purchased last week this 1989 mustang. It could use some nice speakers, I am planning on reusing these speakers if possible and buying additional ones for the other spots. I am just wanting to reuse as much as possible and not buy craploads of amps and stuff. I would like to reuse the 1 set of 5x7's and not have to buy 6.5's instead. Did I explain that properly? Im outta breath. lol
Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Got it! Now it all makes sense. I misread the first post too. My fault. Ok. the 5"x7" will work in the rear applications, but i would go with 6.5" in the front doors and not worry about the 3.5 in the dash. It will be much better with the 6.5 than the 3.5. You can run the 5x7 off the deck and the 6.5 off the amp. I would go with something like this for the 6.5

least expensive
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4597
or
mid expensive (and make matching)
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3733
or
nearing $100
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4589
or
$100
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3066

It feels like you don't want to spend a lot, but those are my recommendations up to $100. But please trust that if you don't want subs, you are going to want 6.5 over 3.5. Otherwise, you will have minimum bass.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

I was going to do the 6.5's, the 5x7's and the 3.5s. But I guess I could just put my tweeters in the 3.5 slot, the 5x7s in the back powered by the deck and the 6.5s in the front doors powered by the amp.
I would like to keep it type R, they are the more powerful ones. The Alpines you linked to were only type S...which even though is higher on the chain alphabetically, they are lower in power comparatively. Kinda stupid.
I was going to put these in, but in a 6.5 version. they dont have it on this site.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5243

This is what I was looking at
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-SPR-17C-6...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

now keep in mind, they can HANDLE more power, and they handle 100 watts. You are concerned about RMS wattage. Even though they can handle 100 watts, your amp only puts out 50 watts. That's why i was looking at somehting like the CDT's or Zapco's or Diamondsor something along those lines because they are more efficient. Since they are more efficient, they willuse less power and produce just as much sound as something using more power.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

hold on, we are going a little fast here.

"its a 1/2 channel...so does this mean it would only work for 2 speakers?" - no. It has a rating for 4ohm and 2ohm which means that you can run multiple speakers off of the amp. Car audio speakers are generally 4 ohm speakers(watch out for some of the infinity stuff) which means with a pair of 4 ohm speakers on that amp, you will get 50 watts to each speaker. Now if you take a pair of 4 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel(do a search and you can find a parallel wiring schematic, it is easy) to that amp you will get 35 watts to each of the 4 speakers. The bigger the speaker the more power it generally needs ok? So a 3.5" being so small it does not need much power at all(just needs it to be bass free), a 5 x 7 will take a little more but still can play fine off of deck power. With a descent amp(like you have) it will sound better with more power.

you will not gain any sound by switching to the 6.5's to be honest, you can probably fit the speakers you have. If you have the speaker and had it installed prior then you know what to expect. Don't let these kids spend your money on a system that they will never hear..........
Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so I am thinking I will do this. Run my Alpine tweeters in the 3.5 spot for now, put my 5X7s in the back hooked up to the decks amp, and then buy some 6.5's for up front, but power those by the amp. Ok. So...Now. How do I set up this bloody stereo? Does someone have a fsm handy on how to hook up my whole setup in my car. I am going to buy a harness and a deck kit. Does anyone know how I make these Alpine speakers fit in my car? I think they need special mounts, right?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

ttocs, won't he get better frequency response though with the 6.5's? I wasn't suggesting more sound as in SPL, but better response as in bass. and if he runs the 5x7's in the back and only the 3.5's in the fron high passed, where is he going to hear any bass? i'm not talking about crushing bass, but just any bass at all....
Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joeybutts

ttocs, won't he get better frequency response though with the 6.5's? I wasn't suggesting more sound as in SPL, but better response as in bass. and if he runs the 5x7's in the back and only the 3.5's in the fron high passed, where is he going to hear any bass? i'm not talking about crushing bass, but just any bass at all....
there is so much just a little off in this post. First about the bass responce in the 6.5's. NO, he will get no gains from 5 x 7 to a 6.5 and would not be able to hear the difference between the two unless they were contrastingly different speakers. The surface area of the speakers is about the same, as well as power handling and if you start talking about an oval speaker can't reproduce the sound as well as a round one then we need even more help. If he had better bass responce, he would probably have better SPL(sound pressure level is a measure of overall sound but especially bass).

Why would the rear 5 x 7's have no bass?

He has all this equipment and was happy with it enough prior to pull it all out, why are we re-inventing the wheel. Keep it simple......

Quick Reply: Speaker setup...clueless