Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Speaker Popping Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Default Speaker Popping Problem

Tonight I had an In-Dash DVD Player installed. My car (2008 Shelby GT) came with the Shaker 500 sound system. I replaced the head unit only and left the rest of the stereo in tact. Now when I start the car and the DVD player starts up, the speakers make a single pop before the music starts playing. I had the same head unit in my 2004 Mustang with the Mach 460 system and I did not have this problem.

The guy who did the installation said that since I upgraded the head unit that it's perfectly normal for it to pop when the car is turned on. I think he's full of **** and can't figure out what's going on with it. I am afraid that it's going to cause damage to the speakers that are in the car so I'm afraid to turn it on. Once it's on and going, it sounds great, but I'm afraid that I'm going to cause damage to the speakers. Anybody have any advice on what the problem is and how to get it fixed?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
BoostdPony
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Speaker Popping Problem

It does this every single time? I'm wondering if it's something with the wiring harness that was used.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 PM
mrdeep2001
2nd Gear Member

I believe it is fixable, but dont remember the fix. It has to do with the output of the headunit and the amps I think. Wait for ttocs, he'll hook you up. Or try searching it.

Deep
Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the stock ford amps use a 5v turn on, not the 12v that every other deck out puts out. It is not a big deal, and will not hurt anything. The forum stick shows the proper way to wire up a voltage regulator, or you can also put a 1.5k ohm resistor in series with the remote turn on
Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 AM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttocs

the stock ford amps use a 5v turn on, not the 12v that every other deck out puts out. It is not a big deal, and will not hurt anything. The forum stick shows the proper way to wire up a voltage regulator, or you can also put a 1.5k ohm resistor in series with the remote turn on
TTOCS,

That makes sense, but I used the same exact deck in my old car and it never made the popping sound when I started it up, why would it do it in my new one? Or did the guy who did it the first time know what he was doing and the 2nd guy was a dumbass?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Pest007
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the 1.5K resistor, sounds like that will fix your problem.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'm going back up there today and am not leaving until they make that popping go away.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

I took it back to them today and they said the reason why it's popping is because the amp for the 8" subwoofers in the front doors are kicking on before the head unit so it's making the speakers pop and the only thing they can do about it is disconnect the subwoofers altogether.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
andysm
1st Gear Member

Here is the answer/link to your problem. I know this may not be your head unit, but it is your problem. Print this out and take it back to them and have them to fix it. And then tell them you are not going to charge them for the training.

Link: https://mustangforums.com/m_3581800/tm.htm
Old 03-13-2008, 04:58 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andysm

Here is the answer/link to your problem. I know this may not be your head unit, but it is your problem. Print this out and take it back to them and have them to fix it. And then tell them you are not going to charge them for the training.

Link: https://mustangforums.com/m_3581800/tm.htm
Kick ***, I'm going to print that out and take it over to them and have them fix it. Now will putting this 12v to 5v regulator effect the bass coming through the subwoofers at all?

Quick Reply: Speaker Popping Problem