Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need Amp Advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Amp Advice!!

Grudge against JL? No. I just think it's they sport a rediculous price tag for the quality and performance of their equipment.

149? Wasn't a real meter I can assure you that. I did 148.8 on a junk meter with a pair of PAcoustik FUBAR's in with 1 cu each when they call for like 2.5 each sealed. In a trunked car, no sound deadening.

You ran a $1200 JL system and did that, tell you what im going to a dB drag tonight and I have my... $150... $125....

I have a $600 system in a friends Blazer were putting on a termpro here in about 6 hours, i'll let you know tomorrow how that went.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM
boss_5pt0
1st Gear Member

Why would I care? I haven't had that system in 8 years. Maybe I'm not hip to all the new stuff all the cool kids use. I used to work in a stereo shop, and that's what I liked. So friggin sue me. When I did run JLs, I didn't use their amps. So I couldn't tell you crap about them. All I ever used of theirs for myself were W0s, but I installed plenty of the other lines. You can make almost anything sound good if you know what the hell you're doing.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boss_5pt0

Why would I care? I haven't had that system in 8 years. Maybe I'm not hip to all the new stuff all the cool kids use. I used to work in a stereo shop, and that's what I liked. So friggin sue me. When I did run JLs, I didn't use their amps. So I couldn't tell you crap about them. All I ever used of theirs for myself were W0s, but I installed plenty of the other lines. You can make almost anything sound good if you know what the hell you're doing.
If you can make anything sound good, why would you spend twice on a JL product that sounds worse then a number of other cheaper drivers.

JL makes good equipment, but they are not the best. They are also highly regarded by many of the ignorant followers of car audio that think there is nothing better becuase thats the best thier local store carries.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:40 AM
boss_5pt0
1st Gear Member

I didn't say they are the absolute very best. I just like them, and think the lower lines they make are a great value. I would never teall anyone to spend $600 plus on any friggin speaker at all. I don't care if it's solid gold. I used to get W0s for $70. So you tell me if I'm paying twice what a good sub costs, which good subs can I get for 35? Oh, and I didn't say you can make anything sound good. I said "almost anything." I actually think kickers are a better sub than JL, but they get a little expensive too. They, like JL, produce a good value product in their lower line cvr though. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

why? because the JL stuff will still be working in 5 yrs, probably 10 if you don't mess with it too much. From my point of view as an installer the difference is that you can send it out the door and KNOW that it can take it... I might be wrong and some of you guys might be rocking your ED equipment for the next decade but will you bet me? How much? I'll take it, hell double it.....

ORIGINAL: PReal

If you can make anything sound good, why would you spend twice on a JL product that sounds worse then a number of other cheaper drivers.

JL makes good equipment, but they are not the best. They are also highly regarded by many of the ignorant followers of car audio that think there is nothing better becuase thats the best thier local store carries.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 AM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

(TTOC i may be reading ur post wrong not sure if ur being sarcastic) not rocking ED but ill put my dd or cactus up against any jl sub and i will bet whatever you want that mine will last longer get louder and take anything u can give it (has been for over 2 years) with double the rms rating and most of the times beyond its max limit. Ive seen many w7's in action and i wouldnt send anything more then 1200 to that sub or ur going to be needing new coils. JL does not over build any of there products u better run whatever there rated at or ur going to be replacing no wiggle room with there speakers. Amps are ok but 500 to 700$ for a 1000watt amp?? cmon now i can get a better built amp that will produce 3 times that much power for the same price.

Boss i know you wouldnt pay more then 600$ for a sub (im talking real subs not ur w7's or solo's) because you dont understand what quality is. Its actually alot cheaper in the long run. My CS was lil over 1100$ for the sub but over the past 2 years if i had went with JL/RF/Kicker i would have done replaced (or reconed) many of those subs by this time hence your not really saving money when u have to buy 6 kicker l7's over the course of a year!! But the best then no need to replace!!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

I never say JL is junk, I have and would always be fine with running JL, but I better get one hell of a deal on it. If all of their prices were cut in half, I wouldn't have the opinion on JL that i do. It's far overpriced for the performance you get.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

Myself even if the price was resonable i still wouldnt. Even if they set the sub at real market value then i could still think of atleast 10 other companys id rather run be it spl or sq. But whatever floats ur boat i say. They are pretty ill give them that but so are audioblahs.(ill admit jl is better then audioblah but u get my drift)
Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Im the same way, there is still options out there even if their prices were half of what they are, but that's the only way I would even begin to consider them, that doesn't mean I would be all over it if it was half price, just means I would look at their products to see if they had something that would work better for my application.

99.9% thats not the case, but....
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

I didn't say they are the absolute very best. I just like them, and think the lower lines they make are a great value. I would never teall anyone to spend $600 plus on any friggin speaker at all. I don't care if it's solid gold. I used to get W0s for $70. So you tell me if I'm paying twice what a good sub costs, which good subs can I get for 35? Oh, and I didn't say you can make anything sound good. I said "almost anything." I actually think kickers are a better sub than JL, but they get a little expensive too. They, like JL, produce a good value product in their lower line cvr though. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.
You really are retarded.... Kicker better then JL is worse then galavanting about your boner for JL.

FYI, a couple months ago I purchased two ED EQHS 12's brand new shipped to my house for $38. ED also recenly offered the 13Ov2D4 for $70 plus shipping. The EQHS's are close to W0's, but the O series will destroy even a W3.

Quick Reply: Need Amp Advice!!