Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Can my car handle this much audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

Default Can my car handle this much audio?

The set-up I want includes:

All from Rockford Fosgate's Power Series Line, except for subwoofers.

2 component speaker systems
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...&p_status=

4 Full range Speakers

2 Subwoofers (Punch Line)

Soo, thats ten speakers total, add amps to power everything of course, and maybe a sound procsessor to tune it up. What else do i need to keep my car running? How big of an alternator, do i need caps? Help me out. Anything i should change. I went with the punch line on subs because i thought anything from the power line would be overkill. Good decision? Bad decision? As a note as well, I'm not that big into hip hop, im more focussed on rock music, soo the vocals are really important, and bass just needs to be there to fill out the sound, but at the same time, still bother old people. lol No offense to any elderly people who may be reading this thread.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 AM
rob3980
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can my car handle this much audio?

First let me answer your question you would probably need a Stinger alternator and battery, but let me tell you that about the only good thing Rockford make is their higher end amps, the rest is garbage.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 AM
excelerater
1st Gear Member

keep in mind that your adding alot of weight to your car = slower and ill handeling.
I would run 1 sub,1 amp and 1 set of comps but if weight isnt a concern go for it.......

As for Fosgate,you could do alot better for the price...
Old 05-16-2008, 06:51 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtbuilder

The set-up I want includes:

All from Rockford Fosgate's Power Series Line, except for subwoofers.

2 component speaker systems

4 Full range Speakers

2 Subwoofers (Punch Line)

Soo, thats ten speakers total, add amps to power everything of course, and maybe a sound procsessor to tune it up. What else do i need to keep my car running? How big of an alternator, do i need caps? Help me out. Anything i should change. I went with the punch line on subs because i thought anything from the power line would be overkill. Good decision? Bad decision? As a note as well, I'm not that big into hip hop, im more focussed on rock music, soo the vocals are really important, and bass just needs to be there to fill out the sound, but at the same time, still bother old people. lol No offense to any elderly people who may be reading this thread.
Honestly that is a terrible setup.

Like excelerator said, your best bet is to buy two amps (one for the subs and one for the mids/highs). I would steer far away from rockford equipment becuase you can do much better for the money.

There is no sense in wasting that much money on 4 sets of crappy full range speakers and one set of comps, when a single comp set can get plenty loud. You could add an additional woofer to a comp set if you need a ton of midbass, but a well deadened and properly installed comp set will shake your pant leg plenty.

If you want some setup recommendations answer a couple questions....

How much do you want to spend?

Will you install yourself?

What type of music do you listen to?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

I'm not really worried about spending a ton of money. I was going to buy everything like one thing at a time, while im working on my dash and stuff but i need to figure out what im putting in the car soo i can figure out where im going to put everything. I'm not too worried about weight.

1. How much do i want to spend?

How much I spend isnt as important as that i get what i paid for. RF seems to be catching a bad rap here, what are some other suggestions? More than one company please. I guess it does matter how much i pay, as long as it's not much more than how much the RF stuff would have cost me.

2. Yes, I will install everything myself.

3. The only music I really listen to is Rock. I like some hybrid bands like linkin park, but a good mix of highs and lows are very important. I want to have a pretty balanced system, like the bass doesnt completly drown out vocals, among other things across the mid frequency.

Soo i need a stinger alternator and battery? How many amps, and a 2 cycle battery correct? Anything else? I just dont want my car dying on me all the time. That would be rather unpleasant.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

10 speakers = too muny speakers. Just because you have a place to put them more is not better and if it is not done really right it causes a horribly imaged system.

in audio honestly it is a good general rule to remember the kiss theory and you can make great sound from a good set of componants up front in good locations(the stock sail panels are not good) and if you like rear fill then drop in a set of coax speakers, a sub er two and plenty of good clean power(here more IS generally better) and you will be enjoying your windows down all summer.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

Fair enough, I'm still looking for some suggestions tho.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

The question is still...

How much do you want to spend? It looks like you were willing to spend a fortune on that RF garbage, but a budget for the entire system is 100% neccessary to access what you need.

I can name amps that are amazing and cost thousandseach, there are comp sets that are $7k each and subswell into the thousands as well. If you want an all out SPL system you will more then likely need to upgrade your charging system, but once again it depends on how much you want to spend....

How much do you want to spend?

How much you spend determines how large and effecient your amps are. I am running around 1500 watts rms in my stereoon a stock 70A nissan alt with an optima.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

I do not want to spend any more than what i was going to spend on the rf garbage.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

How much was that???

Were you planning on buying local or online? That makes a huge difference in price.How much did you have for a cap? Do you already have an aftermarket HU?

Quick Reply: Can my car handle this much audio?