Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How to setup amp to not overdrive door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default How to setup amp to not overdrive door speakers

Ok, I have a fused Alpine 250 watt MRT-T220 V Power 2 channel amp currently wired up to a set of 330 watt 6.5 inch Alpine type R component door speakers. Controlled by an Alpine 9853 deck. I plan on later this week hooking up a set of 6X9 infinity reference 6913i dunno maybe 100 watts rms speakers I have sitting around in the garage. I was wondering how to set this up so as not to overdrive my door speakers. I had a set of older 300 watt type r 6X8's in the doors before that did not last a week wired up. I think I overdrove them...but the loudest I had them was a few times at 18? Dunno, I am not using the heavy bass settings for now, just babying the new speakers, but I want to turn them up later. How do I set it up? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How to setup amp to not overdrive door speakers

where are you going to mount 6 x 9s?

the secret to not blowing speaker is to keep the signal clean, this doesn't matter if you push them with 2 watts or 2k watts. When you drive a speaker in clipping, you feed that speaker a high dc voltage into the speaker which causes the speaker to drive to its furthest point and then hold it there until the clipped signal stopped. This is the same thing as flooring your car while its in nuetral and hold the rpms there. Sure you can do it a few times but in end you are doing damage. You can blow a speaker with too little power even easier then you can with too much power as the signal is driven into clipping sooner. You can blowa speaker with too much power as well but if you keep the signal to that speaker clean you can push almost as much power as you want to. I have my front 3 way speaker set(6-4-1) bi-amped from one of my amps giving them 400 watts between the 3 speakers per side and they scream, but I never drive them into clipping. When you push that much power to them they will be just too damn loud before they start to clip........
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

6X9's were going into the rear deck. As of right now, all I have running is my front component set in the doors. Uhm, ok, how about explaining that in laimans terms. All I understand is that too much or too little power can blow a speaker. Plus, what is this keeping the signal clean? My speakers simply are just not loud enough, I keep turning up the volume, they start getting loud, and then theystart clipping or whatever, they sound crappy.How do I take that information with the equipment I have on hand, and use it? Plus, I see all these settings in my deck and some others on the amp, like gain etc... I have been told I need to tune those somehow. Thanks again ttocs.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
TC3K101
2nd Gear Member

ok set ur hpf@80hz set ur amp using a dmm or a oliscope to send the right amount of power to ur mids.

u can always upgrade ur speakers to pa type speakers. but they arent the cleanest sounding speakers but im sure they will be loud enough for you. but those need more tuning then regular components for ur car.

also turn down the bass u are sending to ur mids if they tend to get sloppy if i must say. and ttocs is correct about sending ur speakers clipped signals. if you want or need any help with ur speaker selection let me know im more than willing to help
Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Ok. I know I do not need PA type speakers, the stock shaker 500 sound system in my 06 GT was enough and the stock sound system in my Lexus IS300 is enough too. Maybe its just because I dont have that rear stage set up. I also just might need a sub too. Lastly, I think I just need to take my car to a stereo shop to have them tune it, I can set some things, but I dont have an oscilliscope nor do I know how to use on properly. I still do not understand whatis meant by sending my speakers clipped signals. Power is coming from an alpine deck to an alpine amp throughrca cables and monster speaker wire. I think I'm just overdriving the speakers. Or I just want them louder! Mainly, more bass. They put outalmost enough basswith the bass turned up but is sacrifices volume. Oh well.Thanks!