Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Stock Head Unit Wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:36 PM
mike4realz

Exclamation Stock Head Unit Wiring help

i have a standard 4 spkr stock head unit for a 2008 mustang. i got confused over the wiring colors. i have a wiring harness (metra 70-5520)

but i got confused over the wirings of the stock head unit cuz they different. i went to installdr.com but the connectors are different and don't know which pin is which. also the orange, orange/white, and blue wires of the wiring harness are at a different slot from the ones shown below. how would i fix dat?

and how bout the second connector? do i just leave that out?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

First off the smaller plug in the last pic. Is for sirius or an aux input. Even tho you may not have sirius or an aux plug they normally prewire the car for it.

Ok now to the main harness. Just match color to color on your aftermarket deck harness. The harness you bought works with pretty much ever ford from 03 and up so even tho the blue and the orange wires dont match any pin on the other side of your factory harness it may match on a different ford vehcile maybe pin for it.

Blue wire: power antenna
orange/white: illumation(dims the radio when you turn your light on)

Just remember as a rule of tumb if the wire isnt used still cap or tape it.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
mike4realz

Unhappy

Oh ok so the smaller connection is no big deal then. Well I installed the wiring harness but my aftermarket head unit won't power up and just found out that my car do not have an accessory power lead at the radio. it is turned on via data bus .
Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you will need to find a switched accesory to turn it on and off, if you want to make it work for now then connect the red switched wire to the yellow constant and now your deck will work but you will have to turn it off, the key will not.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 AM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

fuse box will be the easliest spot to find accescory power, or the ign harness you can get accescory power too.

Well that is news to me. Where did you find this out at? GM be doing the data bus for years, dodge just started doing it, and I was hoping ford would go to the dark side of using the data bus wire. I do talk bad about the date bus but the data bus is a great idea bc there is a couple wires that do alot of control in the car and keeps the amount of wires in the car down. It just makes it a little harder for us car audio guys.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

a little harder? show me an installer that would not love to have the red wire back.......
Old 10-09-2008, 01:29 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Yeah but when it comes to installing alarms/keyless/remote start, having that data wire where you program an interface that hooks up throught that data wire. Thats make the car lock and unlock, door triggers, trunk pop, etc. and it just throught that little interface box it is great now. Instead of the old way having to find every wire testing then soldering on to it, then bypass the chip in the key using the 1100f,556u, or 555lw. That little data wire with that interface makes it soooo much easlier. I learn the old way of having to find every wire,testing everything, using the 5-wire relays, and relays. Now that little interface box and the data wire muchs it soo nice and easlier.

But yes I guess in this thread that the data wire sucks bc now you have to find your own acc power source. All these car makers are going to this data wire soo it not goin away any time soon.