Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Shaker 500 Door Subs Replaced (Walk Through)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

that is a plus...congrats!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 PM
GMustang515

This is a great idea, did you have any trouble with the magnet from the Pioneer sub? What is the diameter of the magnet because i know that the encloser is really small because i want to drop some Kicker CompVt's in my doors but the diameter of the magnet is 6" and is too big for the encloser.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Well first off welcome to the forum......2nd off good job using the search function.

The pioneer subs he used are the pioneer sallow mount, so they are designed to fit in small location.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 PM
GMustang515

Thanks for the welcome GTRedfire03!

I know that the pioneers that he used are a shallow mount sub, the kickers i was talking about are a shallow mount as well but the space in the factory enclosure doesnt leave much room for the magnet since the factory magnet was literally an inch in diameter while aftermarket ones are much bigger, like in the Kicker shallow mount which is 6" in diameter, so my question was how did he make room to fit the magnet and what is the size of the magnet on the Pioneer Premier's?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Not sure on the specifics but just letting you know I am in Illinois and am an installer. I have an 05 GT i decided to ditch the whole door sub and just leave them unhooked in favor of a sub in the trunk. I will tell you though that the pioneer slims are great subs I have installed them in a ton of cars as well just put them in a C6 corvettes door running infinite baffle, as in the enclsoure is the doors it self and they sound great
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GMustang515
Thanks for the welcome GTRedfire03!

I know that the pioneers that he used are a shallow mount sub, the kickers i was talking about are a shallow mount as well but the space in the factory enclosure doesnt leave much room for the magnet since the factory magnet was literally an inch in diameter while aftermarket ones are much bigger, like in the Kicker shallow mount which is 6" in diameter, so my question was how did he make room to fit the magnet and what is the size of the magnet on the Pioneer Premier's?
Alright from what I can tell by the pictures he made a 1" ring to space the sub out.... But you are saying you dont have a depth issue, you have a diameter issue? Pionner doesnt have specs on there site on the diameter of the magnet it just tells you the depth of the subwoofer....Spacing the sub out with that ring will help the diameter issuse. Do you have the subwoofer already? If you pull the factory sub out and put the kicker in it places will show you how much you may have to space it out.... If that doesnt help you may have to take that door off and do some cutting and building to get it to fit.....I have seen people on here use the kicker comp sub in the factory location you may want to see if you can find them on here and PM them on how they install it.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Quick question. I am installing these subs in the doors, possibly with a 1" ring because top mounting depth is 4.125" and the stock enclosure is about 3.5". Should I retain the use of the tuned enclosure that ford has in the door panels? It actually runs about the length of the door and has a cotton padding piece halfway in. Here are the subs. Anything else I should know let me know before I get in way over my head.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 AM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

Few things from questions I read:

One, you dont need to modify the enclosure itself if you space the pioneer slims subwoofer.

Two, If you cut you're Ford factory enclosure, the bass can bounce uselessly in the entire door panel. Then will need more mods to your door to make it enclosed again.

Three, make sure you dynamat the door panel especially around the flush areas that would rattle and the enclosures.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
jwth2005
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NuclearMuscle523
Quick question. I am installing these subs in the doors, possibly with a 1" ring because top mounting depth is 4.125" and the stock enclosure is about 3.5". Should I retain the use of the tuned enclosure that ford has in the door panels? It actually runs about the length of the door and has a cotton padding piece halfway in. Here are the subs. Anything else I should know let me know before I get in way over my head.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Is this accurate? Is this how much depth we have to play with?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
oldsch00lf00l
2nd Gear Member

It depends on how big the magnet of the woofer you are trying to mount is! If the woofer magnet is too big, you will run into a flat spot near the top of the stock enclosure that will severely limit your mounting depth.

Also, I'd be leery about extending the speakers out with a 1" ring because I have kicked my grills on numerous occasions.

I've only extended mine out 3/8" of an inch:

But I went with a 6.5" midbass driver so I was able to retain the stock "look":

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 Door Subs Replaced (Walk Through)