Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

SKIPPER 500 A PO*, HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default SKIPPER 500 A PO*, HELP?

Hey guys, this head unite been a pain. I've head it replace all ready and now one of my speaker is makes a lot of static well turned up a lil. I have no warranty and I'm not trying to spend money. So I went to best buy, and the guy tells me I need to replace the head unite to replace the speakers, is that true?

what are my options here? I'm trying to spend the least amount of money and get some quality back out of my 500, thank you.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

You can start by just replacing the head unit with an aftermarket unit. You don't have to change the speakers right away. You can replace them later on and have no issues. The only thing that you need to take into consideration is the amps for the door subs. Reference this thread https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...onstopred.html for the install steps required to make everything work.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:12 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

is it the tweeters or the woofers that is sounding bad? The tweets can be replaced if I remember correctly but the woofers cannot with out replacing the deck.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I would hate to replace the head unite for two reasons: 1.) all the aftermarket ones I've seen look ugly and are to small looking, which looks weird. 2.) money

I've have no idea if its the tweeter or sub, it sounds like the speaker above what I guess to be the tweeter, I'm not sure. LOL, I know nothing about audio, its pretty funny.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 AM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

If it's just a speaker issue you can swap them out for 2 new sets of 6X8's. I replaced mine with Boston Acoustics S85's and added some 300Hz Bass Blockers to them. Cleaned up the sound very nicely on the stock head unit. Cheap also. Got mine from sonicelectronix.com .
Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oh6vee6
If it's just a speaker issue you can swap them out for 2 new sets of 6X8's. I replaced mine with Boston Acoustics S85's and added some 300Hz Bass Blockers to them. Cleaned up the sound very nicely on the stock head unit. Cheap also. Got mine from sonicelectronix.com .
thanks I'm going look into that. I thought that all I had to do from the start, this whole replacing the head unite just sounds kinda pricey
Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

again, I do not think you can simply swap out the woofers with out buying a new amp to power them........
Old 12-15-2008, 10:53 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

I am in the process of installing a completely new system. So if you are interested in knowing what the stock speakers are exactly like....here are some pictures.

The first pics are the 8in subs from the doors. They are dual voice coil apparently with 1.2 ohms a piece. So I am guessing they are wired in series for a final impedence of 2.4 ohms. Pretty stout for a factory speaker...but then again that 60wx2 might be max watts and not rms.

The second pics are the 6x8 speakers that are a combo 4in and a tweeter. They are built into a pretty nifty little enclosure. I am thinking about attempting to saw the back of this speaker off and attach it to what I am replacing it with.

Then again the person that posted earlier, used tupperware on the back of his speakers and that is pretty nifty...not in the mood for busting out the fiberglass in 30-40 degree weather.

I am completely removing the Shaker system so these are the only photos I think are relevant to this thread. Need pictures of anything else? Let me know quick while the car is apart.
Attached Thumbnails SKIPPER 500 A PO*, HELP?-dscf3707.jpg   SKIPPER 500 A PO*, HELP?-dscf3706.jpg   SKIPPER 500 A PO*, HELP?-dscf3716.jpg   SKIPPER 500 A PO*, HELP?-dscf3718.jpg  

Last edited by thedrod; 12-15-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I have not had my head in a new body style yet and had wondered almost exactly what you answered.

That strange impedence will make it hard to swap out woofers, and the enclosure will make it interesting to replace the mids as well. You are not going to gain any sound from putting a 4" in an enclosure other then that you will have less cancellation. You can also do this by putting a coat of sound damping on the door.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
I have not had my head in a new body style yet and had wondered almost exactly what you answered.

That strange impedence will make it hard to swap out woofers, and the enclosure will make it interesting to replace the mids as well. You are not going to gain any sound from putting a 4" in an enclosure other then that you will have less cancellation. You can also do this by putting a coat of sound damping on the door.
The complete speaker set with enclosure is the same size as a typical 6x8 speaker. It just is completely enclosed. So fitment of a new speaker is not a problem. The only reason I believe it is enclosed is for moisture/weather protection.

If you want more photos of other things let me know. The interior panels are off the passenger door right now as I am fabricating a mounting setup for the speakers replacing the 8in subs and tweeter mounting.

Quick Reply: SKIPPER 500 A PO*, HELP?