Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Alpine, infinity stereo issues (Driving me nuts)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:47 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

Default Alpine, infinity stereo issues (Driving me nuts)

So my mustang has been down since September. I installed 2 Alpine Headunits. I have the 2 headunits using the same power wires, ground etc. I am using an Alpine mono amp for the alpine 10" sub, and Infinity Reference amp powering 2 (6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Component Speakers.) and 2 (5x7 Kappa speakers). 1 Farad Capacitor. It is a very complex stereo setup.

So heres whats driving me nuts:
1. There is whine in the speakers when the car is running.
2. When I crank the volume up the stereo turns off.
3. I put the trunk lining in and then the speakers quit workng, and the amps went into protect mode.
4. Lower Headunit blows a fuse occasionally, The top one used to but I put a breaker in it.

I just did a transmission swap and the car wouldnt turn over but the dash lights and dome lights came on. I put a charger on the battery and am letting it charge overnight. I hooked the charger directly up to the postive cable and ground cable and I tried the stereo again but no go on protect mode from going away.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM
flood41
2nd Gear Member

check all your wiring. make sure you have good grounds for everything.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

2 decks that kept blowing fuses? PLease tell me that you didn't upgrade the fuse rating until it quit blowing?

You have not mentioned any amps? how are the double decks wired into those amps? I think we can help you much faster if you could take a few pics.

I would have to say that it sounds like a short somewhere, or maybe a loose screw......
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

I did not upgrade the fuses until they quit blowing lol. I used rca cables from the decks to the amp where I put in a Y-adapter to allow the eight wires go into 4. I am going to pull the HU out and ground the 2 decks separate.

1 of the decks is Alpine's Ipod only
the other is an alpine cd player with xm
Old 01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
flood41
2nd Gear Member

where did you run the rca's in comparison to the power wires?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I would really recomend either removing one of those radios, or installing a fire extinguisher..... How big of a fuse are you running in there now? You have the rca inputs of both decks going to your amp?

I am really not joking that you have created a fire hazard, there is no LOL'ing on this end.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 AM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

I got the problem fixed. I Have the rca cables running down the center of the car and power cable down the side of the car. I have a 10amp fuse for both stereos. Basically If I want to switch from one stereo to the other I turn one off and turn the other on. Its a unique setup at that.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 AM
flood41
2nd Gear Member

so what was the problem?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

unique would be a kind description. A few years from now you will understand and probably call it something else as well. You are sending a signal back into the deck that is off outputs and that is a bad thing, or will be a bad thing later.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 AM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

The battery was low, and I had a bad ground. I grounded the two stereos separate and I did away with the factory amp so I used that switched power source for the headunit with the inline fuse. So in a nutshell the two stereos are now separate from the power sources and share a common amp.

Quick Reply: Alpine, infinity stereo issues (Driving me nuts)