Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Mustang....sound bar??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:13 AM
Hondoshaver

Default Mustang....sound bar??

Hello boys and girls,

I am new to the boards and had a question for anyone who finds this worth readin. I just bought my 2004 GT vert and was going to put the "lightbar" that the saleens have but I remeber a few years ago when I was Mustang shopping I found one that was acually a "Sound bar".
It had 2, I think 4 and a halfs or 5 by 8s in the bottom hooked up to the stereo as well as the third brake light in the back. If anyone knows what I am talking about hehe please tell me or better yet show me where I saw this. If no one knows mabye one of you electronic guru's could fabricate something like that and put them on the internet to sell I would be your first sale!!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the stock speaker locations are at the bottom of the bar. It is a horrible location to begin with, what are you hoping to gain?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Hondoshaver

Thanks for the reply, but since you bring very little to the actual question I asked please don't worrie about posting again. I was looking to bring more utility to the "light bar" itself.
In the other convertables I have riden in listening to the stereo whilest the top down reqires you to have the volume up quite a bit higher at highers speeds (such as highway ,back roads) If you were to have 2 speakers basically right above your head you might not have to crank your stereo as much. Again thanks for the reply Anyone else?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Blee

Wow H, that was a rough response.

I assure you that ttoc's response was appropriate. Although you may have taken offense his question is valid and advice is wise. He is not a salesperson, but many years of experience as an installer. I do not respond very often, but your response really irked me. I too have not only had many years of sales in car audio, but installation experience as well.

Although you think you will get more sound being so close to your head, the sound is actually quite poor and really a waste of money for what you achieve.

You very well have alienated many the short time you have been here and if you get any further responses you may not like them, but definitely deserve.

Since you did ask for advice, be willing to answer questions and hear what others have to offer based on your answers.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Hondoshaver

Hey Blee,

Thank you very much for your response and if I did take his post the wrong way I apologize. However, as I said before he brought very little to the post with his question by adding that the speakers are right below where the light bar is installed. I join you all most definatly in the non sales person group and have installed my fair share. I havn't done much past deck, amp ,speaker, cap installation and am by no means an expert there either. Saying somthing like that just seemed fairly obvious and came off as sarcastic and so was replied to in kind.
I did answer his question though regardless and got a reresponse that I appriciate and has made my desision on just getting the lightbar. If I did indeed alienate myself it is indeed unfortunate, but we will all still go on living so I wont take it too hard and neather will you guys I am sure. I really do hope to go on posting here if not only to have alittle fun with you all every now and again.

Take care and thanks for the help Blee

-Hondo
Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I was not offended, no worries and if I didn't have anything else to add I would have just stepped back. If you are looking for a way for your audio to sound good in a vert, with the top down at speed then the only thing I have heard about that will help is maybe some of them fancy noise cancelling headphones. While that answer has a bunch of sarcasm in it, unfortunatly it as every bit as much truth. Another option to keep the light bar from whistling is a louder exhaust, now that was all sarcasm

My only fear as an installer if somebody came to me with this request is that not only will probably not sound good but you may also take the little bit of functionality of the roll/light bar if you comprimise the structural integrity of the system if you have to cut or drill wholes in it. If you are considering some kind of pod to mount onto them to keep from cutting and drilling then my fear would be that thing hittin you in the head if you do have an accident or roll over.

If it is just for show then go for it but if you are trying to get better sound then check out bose, paul harvey loves them so they must be good.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 AM
TC3K101
2nd Gear Member

its going to have poor imaging i advise against it.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Set up a solid front stage and you will be good to go. For low end, a sub with some higher excursion or cone area will fill the bottom end in nicely.

I had DLS MS6A's in the front of my mustang and they did an excellent job, though I have sold them and am upgrading to eD's new flagship of components, the e9.65i's. If you have any questions on setup in the convertible I would gladly help. I've switched out two sets of components, four amps, and five different subwoofer setups. Finally have found what I am hoping to stick with (all of this within the last year and a half or so and I also build my own speakers for HT) ...

eD NINe.4 for front stage amplification
eD NINe.1 for substage amplification
eD e9.65i's for front stage
2 DD 1508s for substage

ttocs - school has been out for a while my friend. (I saw your post in the other thread )
Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM
TC3K101
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by joeybutts
Set up a solid front stage and you will be good to go. For low end, a sub with some higher excursion or cone area will fill the bottom end in nicely.

I had DLS MS6A's in the front of my mustang and they did an excellent job, though I have sold them and am upgrading to eD's new flagship of components, the e9.65i's. If you have any questions on setup in the convertible I would gladly help. I've switched out two sets of components, four amps, and five different subwoofer setups. Finally have found what I am hoping to stick with (all of this within the last year and a half or so and I also build my own speakers for HT) ...

eD NINe.4 for front stage amplification
eD NINe.1 for substage amplification
eD e9.65i's for front stage
2 DD 1508s for substage

ttocs - school has been out for a while my friend. (I saw your post in the other thread )
ed fanboy?
Old 01-27-2009, 03:43 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

better believe it!

I've learned a lot over there and am starting to try different vendors now that I have the base that I have. Also, never have had any issues and their equipment has always done what I have needed. If I was into competition or a die hard audiophile I would probably be running different equipment, but like I said, I enjoy the people, the equipment, and the service. I'll take that any day of the week.

I'm also a teacher, so the price/performance ratio is fantastic.

Quick Reply: Mustang....sound bar??