Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

help with system

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
bstevems39
1st Gear Member

Default help with system

so whenever i turn my system up really loud after a little bit my subs cut out. not even turning it up full just half way (which is fairly loud). my other speakers stay on just my subs cut out. don't know what it could be cuz my both amps are on just my subs won't work. i kno u'll probably need more info to help, just let me know

thanks alot

oh the setup

ok so from my bat goes to a batcap then to a fuse which splits the wire into 2 (one to each amp) i think the problem lies somewhere in there

i check all the connections even took mu subs out of the box to make sure nothing was loose, everything seemed good.

just 1 more thing when i turn it down they don't some back on immediatley but over time they kick back in.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 PM
silver2006
1st Gear Member

sounds like the amp is getting to hot and shutting down to protect itself.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:36 PM
bstevems39
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by silver2006
sounds like the amp is getting to hot and shutting down to protect itself.
that was my original thought but the amp is still on and even if it cuts out and then i don't drive my car for a day or so, when i get into my car it still doesn't work and there is no way i could be too hot still. then it'll just randomly it'll kick back in. i think the vibration when its loud makes the wiring somewhere loose just can't pin point where
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
silver2006
1st Gear Member

if the amp is still on, try plugging a different input into it. if you get sound, the trouble is in the radio or the rca wire. you can run a temp rca. you can also give the radio the shake test. see if you get it to come on or go out that way.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
bstevems39
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by silver2006
if the amp is still on, try plugging a different input into it. if you get sound, the trouble is in the radio or the rca wire. you can run a temp rca. you can also give the radio the shake test. see if you get it to come on or go out that way.
when i fold my rear seats down to look at my amps it'll cut in and out consistently. i think the problem may be the fuse holder is loose on the fuse so when the bass hits hard it shakes it loose... but i'm gunna look at it tom when i have daylight
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

could be a couple of things, but protection mode has nothing to do with how often you drive your car.

What subs do you have and how are they wired? You could have your amp on too load of an impedence which is causing the amp to shut down. This would be my first guess.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 AM
bstevems39
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
could be a couple of things, but protection mode has nothing to do with how often you drive your car.

What subs do you have and how are they wired? You could have your amp on too load of an impedence which is causing the amp to shut down. This would be my first guess.
i have 2 apline type r 1022d wired for 2 ohms, i have an alpine mrp m1000 amp powering them, i don't think theres a switch or anything to change the ohms
Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 AM
bstevems39
1st Gear Member

so i got it workin, think the problem may have been a loose ground, but it'll turn my system up loud next time i go out to make sure the problem is fixed. thanks for the input guys
Old 01-22-2009, 07:08 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you have 2 dual voice coil 2 ohm woofers. IF it were wired correctly in a series-parallel wiring system then you would have the 2 ohms that you are aiming for. BUT I am almost willing to bet that all the coils are wired in parallel which means you have it wired for .5 ohms. This will shut most amps off, at least the smart ones.

Next question - what amp? is it 2 ohm mono stable? Is it .5 ohm stable?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
bstevems39
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
you have 2 dual voice coil 2 ohm woofers. IF it were wired correctly in a series-parallel wiring system then you would have the 2 ohms that you are aiming for. BUT I am almost willing to bet that all the coils are wired in parallel which means you have it wired for .5 ohms. This will shut most amps off, at least the smart ones.

Next question - what amp? is it 2 ohm mono stable? Is it .5 ohm stable?
i got my subs wired for for 2 ohms. i think? my amp alpine mrp-m100 is 2 ohm stable

Quick Reply: help with system