Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

6x8s o r 6-1/2s? MB Quarts or Kickers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM
mik3v
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by apolnerow08
You dont NEED an amp. If you have a head unit the speakers will sound a lot better than the factory headunit. However an amp would push even more juice to the speakers... But if your not even going to get a sub, a 4 channel or "speaker" amp isnt nec. for your speakers.
Alright thanks.
Yeah I don't have enough extra cash to buy an amp...
I really want to get a new head unit that JUST has an auxilary-input for ipod, phone, etc... I have a Pioneer DEH 535 receiver. It says 40Wx4.
I'm looking into inexpensive ones that MUST have an aux-in like these: Stereo Receivers.

I can't really tell a difference in any of them though...
Also, just for future refference, will my current pioneer head unit still have enough power to make new speakers sound better than stock?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
apolnerow08
2nd Gear Member

If those are in your price range, I would suggest one of these..

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ms=01|158GT330

Sorry if included some of your picks too, I just didnt feel like looking back and forth But so you know, I believe all Sony HU's have a front aux input jack which you can plug a 3.5mm audio cable into from your standard ipod, iphone, zune, ect. right from that headphone jack. Keep in mind though that with some extra money you might get better sound quality and more features...Like my Alpine CDE-9852 HU has a specific jack for an ipod cable which I can navigate my Ipod THROUGH the HU's controls and also charge my Ipod, which you cant do through an aux jack.

Also, any headunit will power the speakers better than your factory one.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM
mik3v
1st Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by apolnerow08
If those are in your price range, I would suggest one of these..

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ms=01|158GT330

Sorry if included some of your picks too, I just didnt feel like looking back and forth But so you know, I believe all Sony HU's have a front aux input jack which you can plug a 3.5mm audio cable into from your standard ipod, iphone, zune, ect. right from that headphone jack. Keep in mind though that with some extra money you might get better sound quality and more features...Like my Alpine CDE-9852 HU has a specific jack for an ipod cable which I can navigate my Ipod THROUGH the HU's controls and also charge my Ipod, which you cant do through an aux jack.

Also, any headunit will power the speakers better than your factory one.
Thanks. Yeah. I know this might sound like I'm getting picky,but I really really really want to find a HU with an aux-input in the REAR AND a usb or ipod connection in the rear.
To be able to put the ipod hookup into my glovebox and run the aux cable to the holder/slot under my stereo where I always set my phone/zune etc...
I think it would look much cleaner, nice, and easier to use.
We'll see.. they're tough to find. like this...

Hmm... Oh and I already have an older pioneer, afterstock HU in from the previous car owner.
THanks for the help.
Is HIGHER RMS better?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:51 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the rms power rating of any amp is the number to take note of, it is also important to note the impedence(ohms of the speakers) that it is rated at as well. A new radio and some tweeking will make the stock speakers sound better then with the stock deck, but not as good as a good aftermarket replacement.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:31 PM
mik3v
1st Gear Member

Question ???

Originally Posted by ttocs
the rms power rating of any amp is the number to take note of, it is also important to note the impedence(ohms of the speakers) that it is rated at as well. A new radio and some tweeking will make the stock speakers sound better then with the stock deck, but not as good as a good aftermarket replacement.
Alright Thanks.
Yeah... I'm wondering because I've found some very expensive head units with like 14 or 17 RMS, and then I have found some cheaper HU's with 20 or even 22 RMS. Both have the SAME peak output of 50.... see: wth...?
why?
Higher is better for cleaner and louder music... right?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Wait, I thought we were talking amps not decks. I would not even pay attention to the output power of the radio as much as the voltage output of the rca's. You will not hear a difference between a deck rated at 15 watts rms and one at 20 watts, but you will notice the difference between a 2v or 4-8v rca output when you hook amps up to it eventually. We all do.......
Old 07-19-2009, 12:52 PM
mik3v
1st Gear Member

Default thanks for the help

ha alright thanks.
i JUST bought a kenwood excelon kdc-x592 from crutchfield.com

I got the reciever, wiring harnesses, removal tools, usb cord, aux-input cords and everything for $129 including shipping.
I am very happy with what im getting and am pretty excited. It is nice that it is a 6 channel for possible later improvements.
heres whats i got exactly.

and heres the specs.

Did i get a good deal?