Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

No Bass from Rear Mach 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Default No Bass from Rear Mach 460

The other day I began hearing a wine that sounded almost like a blower, without having my radio on (Full Stock Mach 460 System, with the addition of an Infinity Basslink which uses the rear speaker leads to receive its signal to play). With the radio on I could not notice it, but the radio played fine and had clear bass and everything from all speakers. The next morning though the rear subs quit firing and would make random pops although the front ones play as normal. Anyone have any thoughts? Here is what I have done already to try and diagnose this problem:

-Checked all fuses
-Checked to see if the amps mounted on the Mach 460 enclosure where receiving power
-Checked the Resistance at the Harnesses going to the Amps
-Checked the Connections of the rear Speakers inside the enclosure as well as connections made for the Infinity Basslink
-Visually inspected rear subs
-Swapped a buddies working Mach 460 ampifier for the rear set of speakers and it did not solve the issue, and my amplifier played worked as it should in his car. (Looking at the wiring diagram for the system, the left amplifier in the trunk powers the front door subs, while the right amplifier powers the rear subs.)

**Everything listed above seemed to check out okay**
-The voltage and Resistance Checks where performed via the Pinpoint testing listed in the Factory Repair Manuals.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this has been a frustrating issue and I would like to resolve it without doing anything to replace the Mach 460 system, because I am satisfied with its performance and like the "Stock Appearance".

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 2001GTMustang; 07-15-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

by swapping amps we can narrow down that it isn't the amp, and its unlikely that you blew the rear woofers and the basslink overnight so we need to look closer to the source of the music and go towards the deck, or the cable from the deck to the amps.

Can you swap out head units with yer buddy? With the radio removal tools it would take longer to program the clock back then it would to pull and swap them.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:56 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

I might be able to talk him into that, although is there some other special radio removal tool for these units, becuase the front display does not have the four holes to insert the tool that I am familiar with. I think the manual shows it being held on by a few bolts after you remove the interior bezels. I definitely think that is the next place to look as well. While I was researching this I noticed someone saying that there was some wiring near the dead pedal that was related to the amps and speakers. Do you know if there is a connector that could have worked itself loose under the carpet? What do you think would have caused the wining noise?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Man my buddy just sold his ride today before I could get a hold of him to swap the headunits out. I spent the evening yesterday pulling the carpet back to check the wiring going to the rear amps and subs on the drivers side. All the wiring seemed to check out, because between each connection I was receiving the same voltage before and after the connections and it was the same for the rear subs amp as the front subs amp which is still playing as it should. Would it make any sense for the headunit to be sending out the same voltages to each of the front and rear amps but still not get sound from the rear subs? I mean the rear subs might "fire" for a second then just start popping or "bumping" then go to no sound. I mean if the headunit was not actually sending an audio signal to the the amp then that would kind of make sense, because even if for some reason the rear subs were blown the Basslink should intercept the audio signal coming to them and play the bass like normal, but instead it might turn on and "hit" for a second and then no longer receive the signal.

Ttocs, can you suggest anything I could do to remedy this problem other than replacing the factory stuff? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 AM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Okay, so I am still in the middle of this no bass issue. So far here is an update on what has been done. I purchased a supposedly good headunit from a forum member and the problem still exist. I doubt that I would have purchased a headunit with the exact same thing wrong with it as the one I originally had installed. I went back through some diagnostic pin point testing out of the Shop Manuals and found that one of the wires going to the rear amplifier had a resistance less than what the manual specified. This test in the manual suggest if the resistance is less than 10,000 ohms between the harness at the amplifier and ground then the circuit in question needs to be repaired. Does anyone know a good method on how to go about checking that wire and where the wires are routed in rear seat area of the car for the audio system? Also could anyone suggest what the problem with the wiring may be causing the resistance to be less than what the manual's check requires it to be? I think the problem must be something simple, but I just cannot determine how to approach the wiring if this turns out to be the culprit.

By the way, here is a wiring diagram of the Mach 460 system (http://www.bullittarchive.com/7029.htm). The wire that is not passing the Shop Manual's test is wire 172 (LB/RD). Maybe someone can understand this and explain...electricity is not my strongest subject.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

for some reason this has not been showing up as new posts for me. sorry for the delay.

I have no idea what wire 172 is, I think those are the colors listed as the ones above and below it make sence but not that one. let me chew on this a bit and get back later today.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the fact that the basslink is not working tells me that the signal may not be getting to it. Are you using an loc or the internal high-level-inputs on the basslink?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Ttocs, the Basslink uses its own internal circuitry to convert the signal recieved from the rear subwoofers wire connections. I have hooked up a portable radio to the basslink and the factory subwoofers and the seem to play fine. I have had both amps tested as well as the headunit and everything tested fine. So I am back to the drawing board, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:01 AM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Problem solved! There was a pinched wire that was grounding out on the body. Quick fix after finding it and now once again rocking down the road to good tunes. Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:35 PM
markcal30000

Default no sound

Originally Posted by 2001GTMustang
Problem solved! There was a pinched wire that was grounding out on the body. Quick fix after finding it and now once again rocking down the road to good tunes. Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys.
where about was the pinched wire . i have looked for one could not find anything.

Quick Reply: No Bass from Rear Mach 460