Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Aftermarket stereo bluetooth phone issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM
nyknicks8

Default Aftermarket stereo bluetooth phone issue

I recently replaced my 2003 Mustang GT Mach 460 system with an aftermarket Pioneer 3400BH system. I installed everything correctly, grounded it to the chassis (tested the grounding point with a multimeter). All the stock speakers and subwoofers are working fine with audio playback. The issue I have is with Bluetooth phone. I can hear the other end clearly on the car speakers, but the other party says there is a lot of static and my voice is choppy. The choppiness disappears once I disable the car microphone and use the phone speakerphone. I have tried different phones and the problem persists. The Bluetooth streaming audio works perfectly, so this is only an issue with the Bluetooth phone, and in that case only the other party hearing me is the problem. Has anybody else had this problem with an aftermarket Bluetooth stereo? Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

either try moving the mic away from vents or window openings or you have a bad mic.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
nyknicks8

I tried the mic in different locations and it did not change. I even changed the mic to a different one and that also didn't make a difference.

Can someone confirm that my wiring is okay (mainly the grounds).

I hooked up the black/white wires from the sub harness to the main ground which goes to a screw on the frame that I verified is a good ground. Also connected to the main ground is the aftermarket headunit black wire. I capped the main metra harness black and black/white wires since I am using the frame as the grounding point. Also the orange/black (dimmer ground) from the metra harness is capped off since there isn't a orange/black in the aftermarket radio. I did connected the orange from the radio to the metra harness to get the dimmer function.

I'm guessing by the lack of response that most people don't have this problem. Also I guess you would have to be on the receiving end of the call to verify a problem actually exists.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I may be completely wrong, but I don't see how the grounds would make a difference in how you sound on the phone. Have you tried the microphone with a different radio in your car, or with a different car with the same radio? I know it is a lot of work, but it might be worth investigating.
I would guess that it is a problem with the HU's microphone processing ability, which could also be a software problem, so check pioneer's website and see if they have any updates or help there.
how new is the HU? does it have a warranty still? you might want to explore that option.