Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

mach 460 speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

Default mach 460 speaker replacement

Ok so i picked up some new 5x7 coaxial door speakers 86db 65hz-20khz @ 4ohm. pulled my door panel off and connected them to the factory wiring to the woofer. Only got sound from the woofer, then i hooked the coax to the factory tweet wiring. only got sound from the tweet on the coax.

So heres my question. do i need to bypass the amp? what do i need to do get full sound from my new speakers?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Never dealt with a mach stereo but yeah it sounds like there's either a built in crossover or an external one...I have no idea if you can adjust the factory versions or not but I'd assume that if you can't ,yes you would have to bypass it and maybe get a small/cheap-o amp to replace it.

Oooor some coaxials have 4 inputs, if you do, you can hook up both, the mids you replaced plus tweeter lines. Just make sure to follow the connection on the speaker terminal so you know which hookup leads to the tweeter. A lil bass through it and it's in trouble so be sure its right and start volume on low until it all works right. 1 set will go to the cone, the other to the tweeter.

Edit: Wait a sec, just re-read your post, you're replacing a subwoofer (like an 8") with a 5x7? If so then yeah, bypass that amp. You don't want those lower ranges going through a 5x7...Unless it's really good. I suppose you could hook it up and try it slowly, if it handles it ok then just add the tweets to the other hook-ups...

But I'm sure you're not the 1st to have this issue, maybe someone who has and knows more will post soon to help ya out.

Last edited by MOOK3456; 04-08-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 AM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

Im just replacing the door speakers right now. the factory door are a 5x7 (or 6x8) not sure, and they have a seperate tweet right above it. no subwoofer yet. the new coax only have 1 set of hook ups

So yeah if i cant figure this wiring out to the factory amp then ill prob just tear it out and run a aftermarket.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

have you replaced your radio yet? If you have just connect your 5 x 7 to the speaker wire that is driving the tweeter higher in the door and use that as your signal and you will be golden.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:10 PM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

yeah i have a aftermarket cd player. is there more than one connection at the factory tweet? b/c i already hook up that facatory tweet wire to my 5x7 and it only played through the tweet on the coaxial.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 91smokedgt
Im just replacing the door speakers right now. the factory door are a 5x7 (or 6x8) not sure, and they have a seperate tweet right above it. no subwoofer yet. the new coax only have 1 set of hook ups

So yeah if i cant figure this wiring out to the factory amp then ill prob just tear it out and run a aftermarket.
Try and trace the leads back through the door and under the dash (or floor, however it's run) to the amp and see if you find a crossover anywhere on the way (if it is indeed external and factory, it's likely to be pretty small). If it's external you can just bypass that and keep the factory amp...

Last edited by MOOK3456; 04-09-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 PM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

ok ill try to find that crossover if it has a external one.

BTW someone told me today i could wire my new speakers in kinda of like a series parallel using the factory wires from the tweeter and 5x7 to drop it to 8ohm. does that sound right?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

ok ill try to find that crossover if it has a external one.

BTW someone told me today i could wire my new speakers in kinda of like a series parallel using the factory wires from the tweeter and 5x7 to drop it to 8ohm. does that sound right?
I assume they mean simply piggy-backing the old 5x7 (or whatever it was) leads with the tweeter leads, just splicing them together...You could and yeah it may work but without knowing about the crossover and settings I honestly wouldn't. It may not work depending on how the crossover is set up or it may work but not sound too good, etc...

Personally if worse came to worse I'd simply get some good oxygen free speaker wire and just run new leads through the door/under dash(or floor) to the factory amp... Or if the crossover is indeed built into it and non adjustable (most likely), I'd run them straight off the deck until I got the aftermarket amp.

Last edited by MOOK3456; 04-10-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:11 AM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

yeah i think thats what they were tallking about, i may try that first jsut to see. right now im really thinking of getting a aftermarket amp. thanks everyone for the help
Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

yeah i think thats what they were tallking about, i may try that first jsut to see. right now im really thinking of getting a aftermarket amp. thanks everyone for the help
Yeah it's worth a shot to try it, may save ya some work/cash. Just make sure you start with 0 volume and work it up slow until you know it's working right, not messing up your new coaxials is priority one.

Quick Reply: mach 460 speaker replacement