Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

iPod adapter problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 PM
clearnoise

Unhappy iPod adapter problem

Hey everyone, I've got a problem that I'm looking for some help on. I've had a PIE iPod adapter for my 06 Mustang for around a year now (maybe more...) but I've been having some horrible problems in the past couple of weeks. Let me explain:

First, the adapter sopped playing my 5G iPod Classic. I found this odd, because it worked perfectly for around a year...and even more strange was the fact that it plays my 1G iPod Touch just fine. Even weirder is that plugging my iPod Classic in and put the head unit on IPOD REMOTE mode causes the iPod to show that it is playing and seems to be functioning correctly, but there is no sound coming out of my Mustang's speakers. Again, my iPod Touch plays fine. Is there any reason it would suddenly stop playing that iPod, and is there any way to fix this?

Second, about the same time that my iPod Classic stopped working, I started having terrible radio static/reception problems. It was really intermittent, and...this is hard to explain, but the pitch of the static seemed to rise and fall with the me accelerating or de-accelerating my car (but not braking; that seemed to temporarily clear the problem up). Also, this static would appear intermittently when I would stop the car and remove the key, where it would then become entirely static. I think I traced this problem to the iPod adapter's connection to my power adapter/cigarette lighter. But that leads to the third problem...

I soldered that connection and made it much more secure, and the radio seems to be working much better. However...now my iPod adapter isn't recognized by my head unit. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the stereo to recognize it. Is there any sort of fuse in the adapter or the vehicle that could have blown from the soldering? I used a soldering iron that is suited for electronics work (15 watt, I believe), so I'm somewhat confused as to the problem. Or do I need to follow a specific procedure in plugging the connectors in the back of the car's head unit? I tried plugging the iPod adapter in first and then the rest of the connections, but that didn't change anything.

I know it's lengthy, but I didn't want to under-describe anything. Haha thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clearnoise
Hey everyone, I've got a problem that I'm looking for some help on. I've had a PIE iPod adapter for my 06 Mustang for around a year now (maybe more...) but I've been having some horrible problems in the past couple of weeks. Let me explain:

First, the adapter sopped playing my 5G iPod Classic. I found this odd, because it worked perfectly for around a year...and even more strange was the fact that it plays my 1G iPod Touch just fine. Even weirder is that plugging my iPod Classic in and put the head unit on IPOD REMOTE mode causes the iPod to show that it is playing and seems to be functioning correctly, but there is no sound coming out of my Mustang's speakers. Again, my iPod Touch plays fine. Is there any reason it would suddenly stop playing that iPod, and is there any way to fix this?

Second, about the same time that my iPod Classic stopped working, I started having terrible radio static/reception problems. It was really intermittent, and...this is hard to explain, but the pitch of the static seemed to rise and fall with the me accelerating or de-accelerating my car (but not braking; that seemed to temporarily clear the problem up). Also, this static would appear intermittently when I would stop the car and remove the key, where it would then become entirely static. I think I traced this problem to the iPod adapter's connection to my power adapter/cigarette lighter. But that leads to the third problem...

I soldered that connection and made it much more secure, and the radio seems to be working much better. However...now my iPod adapter isn't recognized by my head unit. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the stereo to recognize it. Is there any sort of fuse in the adapter or the vehicle that could have blown from the soldering? I used a soldering iron that is suited for electronics work (15 watt, I believe), so I'm somewhat confused as to the problem. Or do I need to follow a specific procedure in plugging the connectors in the back of the car's head unit? I tried plugging the iPod adapter in first and then the rest of the connections, but that didn't change anything.

I know it's lengthy, but I didn't want to under-describe anything. Haha thanks in advance!
I cant say its the cause of all your problems, but I can guarentee that one of them is the PIE adapter itself.

I've owned one previously and had to remove it. Mine was a first generation one and it ended up getting recalled by the factory that made it since it was causing numerous issues with mustang dashes (overheating warnings, dash lights quit working, fuel guage issues, air conditioning would not work as well as traction controll issues. iSimple ended up refunding everybody who had one who could show their receipt (as far as I'm aware) and removed mustangs from their 'compatable cars' list. I think a year or so later, they came out with another one that was suppose to have fixes that would let it work with the mustangs again, but from what I read that might have not worked out either. It might have been as simple as people buying them and finding out they actually had purchased a first generation one (as the stores might not have returned or known to return them) or maybe most did end up with a second generation one. I cant say for certain so feel free to do some research, but I'm pretty sure the second generation one had issues as well.

Eventually, I grew tired of the problems and bought a brandmotion one. It lets me use the radio to control the iPod (which is the only way I want it while I'm driving) and actually pretty much works the same way as the PIE does, but without the gliches.

TBO at this point (I bought and installed the Brandmotion one a year or so ago) I'm now considering replacing the factory CD player with something else and using the new radio's interface to run the ipod, in which case the Brandmotion one will be removed and likely sold. I think its a good system (the brandmotion), but I want faster response and interaction while browsing through the ipod music.

I cant say removing the PIE will fix your problems, but it wouldnt surprise me in the least. Those first generation ones were nothing but problematic causing NUMEROUS issues. If your interested in the Brandmotion one, pm me and maybe we can work something out.

Andretti
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 AM
clearnoise

Interesting...those are some intense issues. It's unfortunate that I can't find my receipt anywhere, especially because I knew exactly where it was for so long. I have, however, been able to fix the problem I've had with it not playing--it was a simple blown fuse, and I feel pretty dumb that I didn't think about that at the time. As for the old iPod not playing, I've been unable to figure that out so far.

Since it's working (mostly) like it used to, I'll give it some time again and let you know about the Brandmotion if I decide to go that route.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Check that no wiring came loose or is touching any metal or another wire. Also get adapter the power wire away from the signal wire(s). You usually get those engine noises through the radio when that happens. That would be my 1st guess anyways but doesn't really explain why 1 ipod works and 1 doesn't...
Old 02-06-2020, 11:49 AM
Assyria

I have a 2014 Mustang that has problem with the radio. I have seen other posts elsewhere online of similar problems with other mustangs . What happens is, the
radio radio
radio"><span style=radio" /> radio">radio
will work fine, then one day it will POP really loud then the audio will go out. Sometimes it will come back on in a few seconds, other times I have to restart the car. Sometimes it wont come on at all. Only the clock will flash randomly.Anyone can help would be appreciated.