Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How do you get good audio into a fox?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Default How do you get good audio into a fox?

I have an 87 mustang which is my second fox. I have done alot of speaker combinations to try to find good sound. Thus far I've used, kicker 5x7, pioneer 5x7, JBL 5x7, Kicker 3inch, sony exlplod 6inch, and pioneer 6 inch. They are an improvement over the stock paper cones, but still really dont sound very good. right now I also have a crappy 8 inch sub in, to add bass. But it still sounds not so great. I have fluctuated the treble, bass and all that in all different ways. Do any of you know, or have a good combo to put into a fox that can handle loud, have great quality, and have a decent amount of bass? (bass isnt for the rap music, it is to make the rock music drums sound less like a snare lol) I don't really want that vibrate the car system like other kids have nowadays though. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

u need to amp ur speakers
Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

lol I also forgot to mention i have the amp powering 2 6x9's. And it still sounds crappy. Do you reccomend any specific brand? So far pioneer has let me down.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Infinity speakers, good headunit, good amp and that should be all you need.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:27 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to re-use some text that I already used in the forum, but the best advice that anyone can give you here (or anywhere) is to actually go and listen to the speakers before you buy them. This is such a subjective thing, so you really need to listen to speakers in order to know what's right for you. Specs can never tell you if you're going to like something.

There are those who will say: "It doesn't matter what they sound like in the store, because they will always sound different in the vehicle." The first part is false, the second part is of course true, but only stupid people say things like this. The point of listening in the store is to discover things that you DON'T like. If you don't like it in the store, then you will definitely NOT like it in the vehicle. If you like it in the store, then odds are you will like it in the vehicle. Additionally, the speakers that sound the best (to you) in the store will usually be the best choice for the vehicle. It's true that they will be different, but it's also true that using this method to decide will yield the best results.

Here's a link to what I've done in my own Fox Body convertible: http://home.comcast.net/~bill.lawren...g/Mustang.html

I'm not going to blindly recommend a brand, or tell you to do what I did, but I WILL tell you that the most important speakers are in FRONT of you.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

forget amping rears, you need to amp the fronts, do some deadner in your doors, and a decent 2 way 6.5" component set will work wonders. A good component set I have installed in a number of cars including foxes is the polk db6501's.

Also dont expect bass coming out of speakers you are gonna need a sub to fill in ur low end
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

I worded that wrong I guess. I don't necassarily want more bass. I want a better quality that has deeper sound and loud. Idk how to describe it really, you may know what I mean. I'm not an audio guy lol. But I do know a sub will give bass lol. So, so far I've gotten reccomendations For polk in the doors, possibly infinitys in the rear. What is a good 3.5 inch speaker to stick in the dash, my car came with 2 kickers in there and they were terrible.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

what kind of music do you listen too and what is the budget?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by badlx87
I worded that wrong I guess. I don't necassarily want more bass. I want a better quality that has deeper sound and loud. Idk how to describe it really, you may know what I mean. I'm not an audio guy lol. But I do know a sub will give bass lol. So, so far I've gotten reccomendations For polk in the doors, possibly infinitys in the rear. What is a good 3.5 inch speaker to stick in the dash, my car came with 2 kickers in there and they were terrible.
do a component system, put the tweet in dash where 3.5 is. where in il are u?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

Component systems always sound the best, but mounting the tweeters and crossovers isn't always easy. Are you running 3 way speakers in the front? A quality pair of 3 ways in the front will go a long way towards achieving your goal without breaking the bank. I have a pair of Rockford Fosgate 3 ways in the front of my '04 Subaru and for $60/pair I'd say they sound very good. Filter out as much of the bass as you can from the speakers and their mids and highs will sound better (of course you need an amp to drive them, it makes a HUGE difference). If your bass isn't what you want it to be then your sub either needs to go or be adjusted differently.

If the speakers don't give you the sound you're looking for, it's possible that you need to dynamat at least your doors to improve sound quality and reduce outside noise.

Quick Reply: How do you get good audio into a fox?