Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Kenwood DDX616 - Good HU?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Default Kenwood DDX616 - Good HU?

I currently have a JVC AVX820, but am not quite happy with it. I have looked around and found the Kenwood DDX616 meets my requirements. Just want to hear some opinions on it.
My "needs"
1. Volume ****, not push buttons
2. Custom backgrounds
3. Dual Zone Audio/Video
4. $450-550 price range

I'm pretty easy to satisfy. The JVC is a great operating unit, but the volume annoys me, and I hate the generic blue/orange/red backgrounds that you are stuck with.

Any thoughts? Or any other HU's that meet the list above? I had an Alpine for 3-4 days, but ended up going back to the Shaker 1,000 factory HU.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I know nothing about stereos and wiring, but I really like the looks and features of this. Might have to put it on my wishlist. Internal memory or at least a front USB port would be nice though. Looks like you can only play MP3 discs or hook to an ipod.

I currently have the ford Shaker1000, so I would be wondering if this will control shakers in my trunk. Anyone know? It's probably a simple thing for stereo installation gurus but I ain't one.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I ended up buying the Kenwood DDX616 on Friday for $420 shipped.

You need to purchase the Metra wiring kit for our cars. It will have 2 harnesses. 1 is for the subs (shaker 1,000 stuff) and the other is for the speakers and the power.

The only "special" part of the install is that you need to wire in a 5v resistor. Most aftermarket radios use 12v signals to subs. The factory Shaker 1,000 stuff is 5v. So on initial power-up, the speakers make a "pop" noise. Annoying as hell.

I'm looking forward to this radio. Hopefully have it by Friday
Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

great write-up here. very easy to install IMO

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...k-go-away.html
Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I ended up buying the Kenwood DDX616 on Friday for $420 shipped.

You need to purchase the Metra wiring kit for our cars. It will have 2 harnesses. 1 is for the subs (shaker 1,000 stuff) and the other is for the speakers and the power.

The only "special" part of the install is that you need to wire in a 5v resistor. Most aftermarket radios use 12v signals to subs. The factory Shaker 1,000 stuff is 5v. So on initial power-up, the speakers make a "pop" noise. Annoying as hell.

I'm looking forward to this radio. Hopefully have it by Friday
I've been looking at it. It looks like a really good HU. Let me know how you like it!

Interested in selling the JVC?
Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

naw, keeping the JVC. sadly, only reason I'm keeping it is for the built-in bluetooth (hawaii has hand free law)

it has the added benefit of sounding way better than the stock radio
Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

update

the Kenwood DDX616 is interesting, but a $450 stupid purchase. it isn't smart enough to connect automatically via Bluetooth to either of my phones. And in this day and age of smart phones, this HU isn't fully compatible with the iPhone 4.

Supposedly it is capable of streaming music over bluetooth, but doesn't work with either of my phones, and the Kenwood Tech Support can't figure it out.

The custom backgrounds is wicked, but the menu's eat up all but about 2" of screen space. so the backgrounds are pretty much moot since you can't see them.

volume **** is nice

huge delay time when you start the car. It's easily 15+ seconds to start-up. My old JVC was playing music within 5 seconds with the screen fully loaded. The Kenwood just sits and eventually plays music, then the screen catches up.

overall I am not impressed. I bought this HU based on the features it had...and I believe I wasted my money. I'm still trying to resolve the Bluetooth problem with Kenwood. Should have just bought a Pioneer. Think this weekend I'll go down to the local Audio Shop and play with all of their display radios. There has got to be something that meets my requirements...and simply works.

If I weren't so lazy, I would go swap the JVC AVX820 back in. Maybe I'll just buy the new model the AVX830 and call it a day. At least that radio does everything it promises when called upon...just no volume **** or custom backgrounds
Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 AM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

Interested in selling now?