Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Install aftermarket radio...but have CanBus turn-on power...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Default Install aftermarket radio...but have CanBus turn-on power...help

My 08 Expy, and my 09 Mustang are wired so the CanBus supplies activation power to the radio via the Inst. Cluster.

This causes a problem when you put an aftermarket radio in. There are no easily accessible "Key On" hot wires to be found. The closest I can find is at the fuse box itself.

I just want my headunit to operate like the factory radio did. Come on when the key is in "ON" or "Accessory", and keep playing until the door is opened.

I found this...but at $100...there has to be an easier, aka CHEAPER method.Thanks guys. I am pulling my JVC AVX820 in the Expy to put into my Mustang and installing a Kenwood DDX616 in the Expy. Figure I'd try to wire them a little better this time around.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 AM
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

you can wire the red acc wire from the headunit to the passenger side fuse box and one of the unused fuse spots turns on in acc posistion and doesn't shut off until you open the doors when you shut the car off. i dont remember which fuse number but i can check tomorrow. you can buy an add a circuit from autozone and put it in the empy fuse holder and hook the red wire to that.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I like your idea...hopefully you can find that fuse
Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Make sure you pick a fuse that can handle the additional load of the headunit.

im not here to sell our product but they are made for a reason
Old 10-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

the trigger line doesn't provide any load. it just serves as a On/OFF switch...basically Key On/ACC/Off.

the main wiring harness in the dash still has the normal power wire that is used for the OEM radio.

I ended up getting the PAC adapter from another member here on MF for my Expy last night for $35 shipped...but I am still looking for a cheap way to do this on the mustang.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
the trigger line doesn't provide any load. it just serves as a On/OFF switch...basically Key On/ACC/Off.
you are incorrect.The red acc wire does have a certain amount of current it draws.Each radio is different, say a single DIN headunit as opposed to a double din with a screen.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

yes, it draws an insignificant amount of current. so little, that a simple 5 amp fuse would be more than sufficient to protect.

I think I might tap off the power window circuit. that is only powered when the key is on/acc and they are on the 10 minute circuit as well. I think their fuse could easily handle the tiny load the trigger wire would use.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:12 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus

the main wiring harness in the dash still has the normal power wire that is used for the OEM radio.

I ended up getting the PAC adapter from another member here on MF for my Expy last night for $35 shipped...but I am still looking for a cheap way to do this on the mustang.
i agree the ignition lead draws next to nothing
Old 10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

i was just giving the information that we test for here since we probably see and test more cars then most people here.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
i was just giving the information that we test for here since we probably see and test more cars then most people here.
the number of cars you tests has nothing to do with the amount of current the accessory lead for a radio will pull they are completely irrelevent

Quick Reply: Install aftermarket radio...but have CanBus turn-on power...help