Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

06 GT Shaker 500 head unit replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM
dan02gt

Default 06 GT Shaker 500 head unit replacement questions

Hey guys so after 5 years of owning my car I've decided to replace the factory head unit with a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT. I bought the PAC C2R-FRD1 wiring harness to go along with it to make sure it was "done right". My question centers around the wiring harness. Does anyone know if I need to tap the parking break wire, dimmer wire, and the VSS sensor wire for those functions to work? Are these features handled through the factory wiring harness that I'm connecting the C2R-FRD1 to or not? Crutchfield's wiring guide for the 2005-2006 Shaker 500 systems indicate that you do need to tap them, but my car has VSS on the shaker 500 so it would seem that the factory wiring harness provides that feature. I just want to do my research before I start the project so I can do it right the 1st time. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan02gt
Hey guys so after 5 years of owning my car I've decided to replace the factory head unit with a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT. I bought the PAC C2R-FRD1 wiring harness to go along with it to make sure it was "done right". My question centers around the wiring harness. Does anyone know if I need to tap the parking break wire, dimmer wire, and the VSS sensor wire for those functions to work? Are these features handled through the factory wiring harness that I'm connecting the C2R-FRD1 to or not? Crutchfield's wiring guide for the 2005-2006 Shaker 500 systems indicate that you do need to tap them, but my car has VSS on the shaker 500 so it would seem that the factory wiring harness provides that feature. I just want to do my research before I start the project so I can do it right the 1st time. Thanks for your help.
It's my understanding that's what the PAC C2R-FRD1 is for. Check out the description of the Pac.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127C2RF...=detailed_info

I ordered the same head unit with navigation and the Scosche FDSR which should be the equivalent of the PAC C2R-FRD1 sa I'll know this weekend if anything else is needed.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n+Package.html
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM
dan02gt

NJ3 that is what I was thinking, but the wiring diagram on Crutchfield's site indicates that the factory wiring harness that connects to the Shaker 500 doesn't have the wires in it for VSS, parking break, and reverse which of course we need for all the features of our head units to work correctly. The Crutchfield guide does tell you what wires to tap to get those signals. Check the wiring diagram here: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/cgi-...p?p_faqid=5107. I'm just thinking that if the factory head unit wiring harness doesn't provide those signals to the PAC adapter then I'm going to have to tap them manually which I was hoping to not have to do.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan02gt
NJ3 that is what I was thinking, but the wiring diagram on Crutchfield's site indicates that the factory wiring harness that connects to the Shaker 500 doesn't have the wires in it for VSS, parking break, and reverse which of course we need for all the features of our head units to work correctly. The Crutchfield guide does tell you what wires to tap to get those signals. Check the wiring diagram here: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/cgi-...p?p_faqid=5107. I'm just thinking that if the factory head unit wiring harness doesn't provide those signals to the PAC adapter then I'm going to have to tap them manually which I was hoping to not have to do.
I had seen that too and I believe you would need to tap those wires if you didn't use the PAC. If you look at the diagram in the installation manual for the PAC it shows the VSS wire, parking brake wire, reverse wire, ext, coming out of the interface. Those wires would attach to the HU.
I'll add a bypass circuit on the parking brake wire to defeat the DVD "safety" but everything I've found on the net leads me to believe it'll be plug and play with the PAC C2R-FRD1. ===>
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_051908.pdf
Old 10-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

We put all of the necessary navigation outputs on the C2R-FRD1 to make it a "plug and play" install(other then wiring up the new headunits hi level outputs).You wont have to be tapping other wires or adding resistors for turn on pops so it cuts down the install time dramatically.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM
dan02gt

Thanks Iskwezm that's what I was hoping for.