Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

DVD Headunit Install S-197 Models

Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

Does the line in in the glove compartment still work after installation?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:12 PM
98LaserRedGT
1st Gear Member

Has anyone installed one of these in a 01-04? I am looking at getting an AVH-P3200BT or AVH-P3300BT for my 01 Cobra and am wondering if the dash trim has to be removed to take them in and out. Currently in my 98 GT I am able to slide my single DIN Clarion unit in and out as needed which is nice for making changes and doing gradual upgrades. It would be a pain if the dash needs removed to do anything with these double DIN units!

Obviously with the unit in my 98 I don't have it securely mounted which isn't a problem except it would be easier to steal. I would like to try to do the same, at least initially.

Last edited by 98LaserRedGT; 03-07-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

^^^ i'm not 100% sure, but i'd imagine you'd at least have to take apart part of it off so you can install the e-brake connector better. i can't remember how easy it is to take apart a new edge's trim, but for an s197 it only takes about 5 minutes to get everything apart. i personally find it easier to work with when the trim is off, though

Originally Posted by asl9622
Does the line in in the glove compartment still work after installation?
i didn't have one in mine, but i'd imagine it would since the oem wires get 'spliced' into the headunit's wires
Old 03-26-2011, 01:03 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

There is nothing in here about hooking up the "Antenna In" on the back of the radio. I'm pretty sure it's this orange cable that came out of the old radio, but the input on the Pioneer is on the opposite side of the back, and the cable has no give. I'm not sure how I'm going to get that to reach...
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

mine reached fine. it was a little hard to get the male end of the wire into the radio's 'plug'; the only way i was able to get it in was to push it in after the radio was in-place in the dash by reaching around the access area by the passenger floor area. there is no real 'modification' or anything, you just need good flexibility
Old 03-27-2011, 02:19 AM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

Well I am pretty sure I have figured out how to keep the line in if you have one installed inside your armrest compartment. The PAC harness has a RCA cable that says AUX. This is what you plug into the head units audio in location and you can use the existing line in. However what I did was I ran audio and video rca cable into the armrest compartment and attached a coupler. Now I can attach video devices to it or if I just want to use music I can use rca to 3.5 mm jack cables. As for the antenna for my 2007 mustang I had to get the adapter from bestbuy for like 15 bucks. Be careful though because the one you have to buy is actually a chrysler or something and not the ford. Just ask the radio install guy.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:22 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah it changed on the 2007s apparently. I got it solved, but I now see why it isn't included in the write-up. It might should be added as a note for future reference though.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Wax.is

Talking Good write up

Thanks for the how to, I got mine in quickly because of it.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:27 PM
mybeststangever

Default Antenna doesn't reach new hu

Originally Posted by HT
There is nothing in here about hooking up the "Antenna In" on the back of the radio. I'm pretty sure it's this orange cable that came out of the old radio, but the input on the Pioneer is on the opposite side of the back, and the cable has no give. I'm not sure how I'm going to get that to reach...
Hi, I ran into the same problem installing the Avic x940bt in my 06 GT Conv. The ant plug was about 2" short to reach the hu's socket, which is on the opposite side of the hu than the shaker's. The ant plug on the 06 is still the old style, and I couldn't find an extension cable. The only one I could find was for a GM car, which has a smaller female receptacle end, but the right size end for the HU side. I cut slits in the metal jacket on the female side, of the 9" extension, plugged the car's male plug end in, wrapped the metal from the shield back arount the plug, wrapped aluminum foil around the ground metal ends to encompass both the extension female metal end, and the car's plug metal end, and taped tightly. It worked perfectly.
I would have liked to know about it in advance to, as I could have scrounged up an extension somewhere before getting stuck at the end of the job.
Luck
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 PM
sarcastik
1st Gear Member

Wish I had seen this many moons ago when I installed mine, It took me all day and into the night because I had the wrong harness...ughh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DVD Headunit Install S-197 Models