Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How do I know if SYNC is working in my 2010? After-market radio was insatlled

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:09 PM
crewxp

Default How do I know if SYNC is working in my 2010? After-market radio was insatlled

Hey, I have a question for you SYNC owners, or anyone who might know.

I test drove a car yesterday that Im most likely about to buy. But I'm a tech junkie. And a feature I was really looking forward to might not be working on it. How do I know if SYNC works?

It's a used 2010 Mustang with a Kenwood DNX6160 Receiver. (Navigation type).
Link: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...gation/DNX6160

It had a ipod cable that came from the glovebox to use. I guess it came with the receiver.

When I test drove it yesterday, I tried pressing the steering wheel to use SYNC. I said dial number, it said no phones found and would attempt to find one. Then...nothing. I thought maybe I just dont know how to use it.

It said to add a device, say "Connect then the device name". I did that, many times, but the system never recognized it. All other commands besides SYNC, System Health (whatever that is), and Phone worked.

I was wondering if whoever owned it previously, if when they added the after-market radio, it disabled SYNC. Is there a way I can find out?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crewxp
I was wondering if whoever owned it previously, if when they added the after-market radio, it disabled SYNC. Is there a way I can find out?
From what you´ve stated so far, it sounds like it´s been kept. Does it still have a PAC stamped unit above or below the AM HU? As I understand it, there would need to be an interpretive unit to output to the AM HU to run into the Aux jack normally for you to still hear the dialogue through the speakers.

The other stupid question would be, did you have BT enabled on your phone and have it discoverable when you tested it?

Should the worst be true, the basic outlay is still there, it would just take a $250 PAC unit or similar to have wired to get it functioning again.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-04-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
crewxp

lol yeah, bluetooth was on.

Thanks for the help btw.

I could successfully use my phone with the car (but only by pairing my phone with the receiver itself).

I couldn't use the steering wheel to control my phone or music. Do you think this can this be fixed with that PAC unit you mentioned? It said no device found when I tried to use the steering wheel, and it would try to find it. Then it just quit back to the receiver that was playing music. It said to add a device (using steering wheel), say "connect Then the Device name". Well I tried saying. "Connect phone" "connect iphone" "connect test". Then it said command not recognized.

It was all very weird. I just want to make sure its not broke before I buy it.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:06 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

It´s doubtful in the sense of truly being ¨broke¨. But ya, from the brief reads, you´d need the PAC and the additional steering control unit it sounds like.

If your fine with a bit of light soldering, I´d just see if you can get ´em both through crutchfield.com. Pay a few extra bucks, but if your not familar with doing this sort of thing, or with the car itself, they´ll practically walk you through it if you have problems. And the instructions will provided will be thoroughly detailed. Get one of the techs on the phone for this, since the after-market model might need it´s own optional harness for steering wheel integration. If you can give him all the info for this, it´s likely he can hook you up with what´s needed to get this back into a more seamless install.

At the very least your looking at the 2 PAC units, likely a new wiring harness to redo what was done to save yourself the headache, and then pulling the old one from the head-unit off and redoing it.

If it´s truly make it or break it by this, then you may wish to pass, as you never really know what the guy did, or who he got to do it did.

I wouldn´t myself, being the geek that I am, short of them cutting the harness off and destroying the sync unit, it can be revived. And it would be a good way to get the price down by like a grand since it´s not functioning IMO.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-05-2011 at 05:21 PM.