Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

why isnt it powering on

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default why isnt it powering on

ok so after triple checking all my wiring my p4200 still isnt powering on. ive got my grounds good and i used a volt meter to check that there is power running to the pioneer harness and the grounds and im getting full power to all of them. so what do yall think? is my head unit busted up? anything specific i should double check (like i said i already triple checked the wiring). im gonna be taking it to a shop (pioneer dealer) tm so if i find out what the problem is ill report back, but any suggestions before that i would love to consider.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

did u check the constant and switched power. if i recall 08s dont have a switched 12 volt in the harness and u need to get it at ignition switch or fuse box
Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

O wow. Well that's something I haven't heard before. Even still tho I'm getting power to the pioneer end of the harness with the car on so doesn't that mean its working?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
did u check the constant and switched power. if i recall 08s dont have a switched 12 volt in the harness and u need to get it at ignition switch or fuse box
There should be no differences in the basic power wiring or speaker pins according to all of the wiring harness diagrams for the 05-09´s. Same for 10+ as well so far.

Someone did report they had an issue I see, but mine works fine for the 12v switched, this is how my vehicle dc to dc PSU knows to turn on/off.

This would be how I´d diagnose it:
1)Check the fuse first on the pioneer. Remove it, test with continuity/resistance, should read near 0ohms if it´s good. If it blew(infinite or no reading), something is wired wrong, likely relay or regulator. Assuming ok, move on to the next..
2)Check 12v switched (red) with meter and the key in the ACC position, should read 12v when switched. This is what tells the pioneer to come on/off.
3)Plug the shaker back in to verify nothing else is wrong. ie. fuse blown elsewhere.
4)If the shaker works and 12v switched isn´t getting power, then check the remote on (blue/white) and/or the solid blue (power antenna) from the metra harness adapter to see if that gets 12v switched, use that instead if the case. Key in ACC position should read 12v on this, then lose power once off again and a door is opened, the same as step 2.

Did you hear the relay click at any point?

Also, just fyi, the illumination/dimmer connection on the metra harness if it´s there does jack as well. As from the diagrams there is no matching line.

Tried to paste the table from the12volt.com, but its not likin´ it, anyhow, illumination is not wired.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-07-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 AM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

there are 2 power wires on pioneer, red and yellow. one will always have 12 volts, the other only when igntion is on. basically turn igntion on check for 12volts at red and yellow on pioneer, if you dont have it on both it wont turn on

i could sware that a certain year on mustang I thought it was 07/8 doesnt have an accessory wire in the harness (all other wiring stays same) and a data line turns it on and off meaning you have to run a wire to fuse box/igntion for that wire
Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
i could sware that a certain year on mustang I thought it was 07/8 doesnt have an accessory wire in the harness (all other wiring stays same) and a data line turns it on and off meaning you have to run a wire to fuse box/igntion for that wire
I´ve seen a couple stating it´s controlled with the bus now, but it must be after a certain build date, as mine does not have this issue. And I´ve only seen a couple so far. Would think if the newer ones were exclusively like this there would be more bloody-murder being screamed by the masses that buy metra only harnesses and don´t bother with a PAC unit.

Ok, here´s the answer:
Originally Posted by Ween on the12volt.com
hi,
a number of '08 ford models do not have an accessory power lead at the radio. it is turned on via data bus. in the right kick panel there is a fusebox where you can find an switched (accessory) power lead.

hope this helps
So, he might have gotten the short straw. If that´s the case, here should be the answer:
Originally Posted by Ween again from the12volt.com
no accessory lead. you can tap off the fuse for the power mirrors...fuse 4 (5A)...pretty sure that one has retained power. fuse box is still in the right kickpanel.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-07-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

ok well since the stereo place opens in 30 minutes im gonna take this whole thread to the guy. will report back with the solution (hopefully)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

well its screwed. guy said theres no way of knowing whether it was me or it came broken. so hopefully i can work something out with amazon. lesson learned: i am done screwing around with electronics
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

and thats why i said dont buy from Amazon, good luck with the company you bought it from.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Perhaps there´s some messaging going on here, but this leaves quite a bit in the dark if that's not the case.

Unit is dead, ok, but you got absolutely nothing from the unit when you first tried to power it? No click, no ¨zzzt p00f¨, smoke, ozone smell, nothing?

They did verify the fuse in the back, right? Check your wiring? Did they say any of what you did was wrong?

Likely you can exchange it(remove your wiring first of course) stating it was DOA, but if it was a wiring issue on your end, your just going to crispy-critter it again unless you know what was wrong. Unless the plan is just to take it elsewhere for the install this go around.

DOA units happen, but it's not that likely unless you bought a used/refurb one. Then of course you just upped the odds by a large factor.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-07-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: why isnt it powering on