Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2011 GT/CS Shaker 500: Adding OEM Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Question 2011 GT/CS Shaker 500: Adding OEM Nav?

Hi all,

I've got a 2011 GT/CS with the Shaker 500 w/ Sync. Looking at options for stereo upgrades, and after playing around with the OEM Navigation setup, I regret not opting to get it. I was considering installing my old deck from my trade in a Kenwood DNX7140 DD unit with the metra kit, but would prefer to have OEM if possible...

Anyone know if cars built with just the Shaker 500 could be upgraded to the OEM Navigation? Seeing that the NAV unit seems to use the same system. I looked online, and saw that the parts relating to the NAV unit and looks somewhat feasible. The only issue I see is the wire harness not being compatible.

I don't know what the price would be for just the navigation. But one dealer I spoke with said it's "possible", but has never been done before.

Assuming the price isn't outlandish for the parts and installation, is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

You can't get the factory nav installed in your car because of the wiring harness. You can go with the Metra kit or wait for the Scosche kit to come out.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mondo73
You can't get the factory nav installed in your car because of the wiring harness. You can go with the Metra kit or wait for the Scosche kit to come out.
Ahh bummer... Thanks for the feedback mondo.

Just curious has it been confirmed that the wire harness is different? (Not suggesting I don't believe you.) Prior to asking on the boards I've been given contradicting answers (from dealers and various sources) without being able to confirm with certainty that it is different or not.

Figure this question may come up again and would help answer questions for other who may do a search on it.

Regards,
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

Yes it has been confirmed that the wiring harness is different.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mondo73
Yes it has been confirmed that the wiring harness is different.
Thanks Mondo!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 AM
kedar

i am also interested in adding factory navigation to a 2011 mustang gt w/ shaker 500. can someone explain why this is currently not possible? would it be possible to add the factory nav using harness adapters or by splicing into the existing factory wiring harness?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kedar
i am also interested in adding factory navigation to a 2011 mustang gt w/ shaker 500. can someone explain why this is currently not possible? would it be possible to add the factory nav using harness adapters or by splicing into the existing factory wiring harness?
I've spoke with a couple of dealers locally, and their responses have been 50/50... Some say they can do it, while others say it can't be done. But they both mention wire harness differences. They don't specify what portions are different, but they all did say they wouldn't "splice" into the existing wire harness and would have to replace the wire harness if the differences were that drastic. Another challenge too is that none of those dealers have ever done it. The labor alone incurred from this could make it not worth while.

Fordparts.com has some information about the different pieces between the two setups, but I couldn't find any wire harness information anywhere. I'd be curious to see what exactly are the differences and the actual feasibility to swap/upgrade.

While I'd love to upgrade mine to the OEM nav and auto climate control, at this point in time the ends doesn't seem to justify the means. One promising thing on the flip side, the metra kit and scosche kits look pretty good so far.

Either way in both scenarios, IMHO we'll have a easier time to figure out what's the best route to go as either one becomes more readily available. We just need to be patient for the time being which is the toughest part (for me anyways).

Regards,
Old 01-30-2011, 05:14 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maverick302
I'd be curious to see what exactly are the differences and the actual feasibility to swap/upgrade.
See here, pages 8-13 specifically. All information about your car (2011) is here.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
See here, pages 8-13 specifically. All information about your car (2011) is here.
Thanks for the link Wayne. Great information though admittedly probably a little above my electrical skillset. I'll have to put my "thinking cap" on for this one for sure.

Regards,
Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

if it could be done I would not expect to get out of the dealers bay with out a $12xx-1400 bill. The factory parts are horribly overpriced, as is their labor...

Quick Reply: 2011 GT/CS Shaker 500: Adding OEM Nav?