Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Add woofer in a door on a 2005 Deluxe Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Virge
1st Gear Member

Default Add woofer in a door on a 2005 Deluxe Mustang

Hi!

I have a 2005 convertible mustang. I change the stock radio unit with a shaker 500. Now I want to install a woofer in the door. I have bought 2 impact woofer, and 2 audiobahn crossover. But my mustang is a deluxe, and it haven't any woofer in the door. How can I mount them?

Thanks!!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Buy door panel replacements that have the shaker 500/1000 sub-woofer cut-outs already done, or fabricate/cut-out your own opening on your existing panels. This as an example. You´d have to find a place that will ship to Italy, or have a friend in the states here that will re-ship for you.

You don´t mention the size, or depth of the subs/woofers, so unless they´re specifically sized 8´ ones, they´re not going to fit. Then of course you´d have to run wiring.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Virge
1st Gear Member

Thanks Wayne!!

The diameter of woofer is 6,2 inch. I think to use the oem wiring and split it with a crossover; low singal to woofer, high to oem speaker. Is it right?

Unfortunately in Italy there aren't many doors Mustang,and if I buy one in the usa spends a lot of shipments!

But simply cut the door or do I build a box for the woofers like the originals?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I would not recomend running aftermarket speakers with stock amps. Will not sound any good...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Virge
The diameter of woofer is 6,2 inch. I think to use the oem wiring and split it with a crossover; low singal to woofer, high to oem speaker. Is it right?
As ttocs states, you really don't want to straight split this. Use a LOC on a set of lines (front or rear outs), and feed an after-market amp. Since you don't have a shaker system, the audio is being amplified solely by the head-unit. You slap on 2 more speakers, in this case I'm guessing sub-woofers? Likely rated at 2 ohms, no? Assuming you don't blow anything, it's going to likely cut-out, clip, at the very least over-heat and sound rather crappy.

But simply cut the door or do I build a box for the woofers like the originals?
You will need to give it some backing for the screws and the speaker itself to mount to for the door panel. You may wish to do more to keep it more stable, as well as give better acoustics, that's up to you. I'd pull the panel, see what you have to work with, how much room you have, depth, test fit in the door with the panel off, do the tracing with chalk perhaps, etc..

This will require some though on your part, as well as some decent fabrication skills. Not super-difficult, but still.. My advise would be to take it to a shop with some specialization in this if you've not attempted something like this in the past.