Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Hack Sync?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Default Hack Sync?

Anyone found any good links on info related to the Sync system? Sounds a whole lot like Microsoft Sam or Shelly or whatever her name is....and it's a Microsoft kiosk. Should be hackable, yeah?

Switching voices is simple with Microsoft Voice...it'd be cool to be able to upload a new voice with the USB port and a thumbdrive...some stuff snagged out of Windows.

Yes, I want to switch it so it sounds like KITT. Or maybe Renfroe (yes, master)....**** star. Something.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:48 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

honestly if the new radios are as dependable as the old ones, I would not recomend altering it at all to save wasting the time, and from voiding the warranty on it. The radios have always had some weak point that made them just barely able to make it to the warranty period.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to replace the head unit, but I don't want to deal with all the wheel controls, sync, etc...

Think the way MS does it is just changes/bends the pitch of the voice...the essentials would all stay the same. Seems like it would be easy for someone with skills to do....change a couple of numbers to tweak the voice a little.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Meester_Vapor
I'd like to replace the head unit, but I don't want to deal with all the wheel controls, sync, etc...

Think the way MS does it is just changes/bends the pitch of the voice...the essentials would all stay the same. Seems like it would be easy for someone with skills to do....change a couple of numbers to tweak the voice a little.
I've not read very far into it, but I'm sure it would require changing out .net generated files.

Here is an overview of the framework's functioning, which gives some insight. And here's the link to the released framework itself, and other general information about it. Couple of lockout devices to free you from the usual restrictions, but no actual coding changes.

I've not been looking, but I've not seen anything on any generally related sites about reverse engineering anything truly cool out of it, unlike the xbox/xbox360 and other MS hardware/software packages.

While I have no plans on having it, still disappointing, as it would be interesting to gain control over this at the base level. I'm sure there's a crapload more it could do that it won't ever because of fears of lawsuits and the like since it can read and generally interface with can-bus.

Last edited by wayne613; 03-18-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Interesting links, thank you for those. Been looking around, but I don't think it's possible at this point either.

Funny tho', I sent them an email asking if they would consider making that a changable item....they said they had no plans on making the voice an available toy to play with. :/

Guess it's back to looking at the programmable voices for the alarms. Instead of "step back, Viper armed"....maybe a Fred Sanford .wav file saying something a little more insulting.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

they make adaptors to allow you to keep the steering wheel controls if that is all you want.