Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Stereo component question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default Stereo component question

I'll keep it short and sweet.

I have a Sony CDX-620IP that you can see has only 4 RCA outpus on the backside seen in the second picture down. Two for speakers and two for a sub output.

I want to pick up a Alpine PDX-5 5 channel amp and as you can see there are 6 RCA inputs. 4 for speakers, and 2 for a sub.

Obviously my sub 2 sub outputs will go to the 2 sub inputs on the amp. But how would the wiring be for the 2 speaker outputs on the HU into the 4 speaker inputs on the amp?

I'm planning on doing something similar to this setup but his HU has 6 rca outputs to match the 6 rca inputs on the amp.

Thanks for the input fellas.
Dean
Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I have a Sony CDX-620IP that you can see has only 4 RCA outpus on the backside seen in the second picture down. Two for speakers and two for a sub output.
Are you sure the 4 outputs on the HD are not for two front and two rear speakers? That's what the stamp next to the outputs looks like.

Why couldn't you use a "Y" connector to split a single HD output into two, or tap into a pre-amp speaker line with a LOC to obtain a signal for the PDX-5 amp input?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

In this picture...the left most white/red rca's say "rear/sub audio" under them. Under the right rca's say "front out" under them.

I didn't know if I could use the left rcs's for the sub and then use the right side rca's with a "Y" to go to the 4 inputs on the Alpine amp...

you think "front out" means any and all speakers that are not a sub? meaning it would carry signal for all 4 speakers (front 2 in doors and rear 2 in back deck) (we'll keep it simple with no component speakers)

Last edited by smitty2919; 04-27-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

no two channel rca will supply 4 channels of sound, just can't happen. I can't really see what it says and have not paid attention to sony car audio since they ditched the ES line and exploded back in the 90s. IT is possible that the rcas are switchable and can be controlled from the menu in the deck but you would need to check your manual for that. It should show a couple different ways to connect everthing and how to do it. If it has one full range output and one sub out, you will either need to get a Y splitter or see if the amp you are buying will allow you to power the outputs off each other.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

just run sub to sub and run splitter off the fronts for front and rear on amp
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
no two channel rca will supply 4 channels of sound, just can't happen. I can't really see what it says and have not paid attention to sony car audio since they ditched the ES line and exploded back in the 90s. IT is possible that the rcas are switchable and can be controlled from the menu in the deck but you would need to check your manual for that. It should show a couple different ways to connect everthing and how to do it. If it has one full range output and one sub out, you will either need to get a Y splitter or see if the amp you are buying will allow you to power the outputs off each other.

the left most white/red rca's say "rear/sub audio" under them. Under the right rca's it says "front out" under them.

In my 04 GT I used the same HU and wired it to a 2 channel amp to power all interior speakers I lost my balance ability since I set it up that the "left and right" made it fade front to back. I hooked the same HU to a mono amp for a 10" sub.

I guess the question becomes, and I'll assume it's not true, that the "front out" red/white rca's on the HU carry the signal for all 4 speakers...

I just grabbed some pics of what I have. It doesn't seem like I can run 4 speakers from my HU to the amp.

Setups suggested from the manual:

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I still have the 2 channel amp and mono amp, but I wanted a cleaner install and go with the single Alpine PDX-5 and also to simplify things.

But in order to do it right, seems I would have to get a new HU that has 4 rcs speaker outputs as well as outputs for a sub... wtf lol
Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

that deck will work just fine with some splitters or the right amp that allows channels 3 and 4 to sample off of channels 1 and 2. The 5 channel amp should also have x-0vers build in so a sub output is not really needed.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

You know what the feature would be called for the amp to allow channels 3 and 4 to sample off channels 1 and 2?

straight from google images:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 AM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

the feature would be 2 y adapters

Quick Reply: Stereo component question