Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

front and rear cameras

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

Default front and rear cameras

I'm looking to install a camera in on my front bumper since I have a roush bumper and it sits pretty low. I don't want to run over any curbs when pulling in to a parking space. I'd also like to install a backup camera where the trunk lock is (I saw the how-to). Do any of you have any recommendations for a cheap camera for the front and a decent one for the back? I don't want to spend a lot on the front camera b/c I'm not sure it's even going to work but I don't mind spending a little more to get a good back up camera.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I actually did the same thing last year to prevent tearing off my chin spoiler. I originally got it because I was afraid of backing over my dog who likes to sleep in the driveway but wanted to protect the chin as well. The kit I got the screen is built into the mirror and the screen turn on as soon as its in reverse, or the front camera turns on when I flip a switch. It required that I wire up a relay to allow two cameras to go to one screen but works perfect. The only real problem which is not a big deal is that when you put a back up camera up front, everything is backwards. If a car passes from left to right on your screen it will go from right to left. Not a problem with parking though.

I got my kit off of ebay. The kit came with what is called a lipstick camera which requires a 2" hole be drilled to mount it. I did not want to drill a hole that size in the trunk/bumper so I instead got a license plate frame camera and put the lipstic camera up in the chin spoiler since it could be replaced later.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

amazon. Check out the Pyle offerings. I installed the plate version last weekend. i have a tiny one coming for the front.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
I actually did the same thing last year to prevent tearing off my chin spoiler. I originally got it because I was afraid of backing over my dog who likes to sleep in the driveway but wanted to protect the chin as well. The kit I got the screen is built into the mirror and the screen turn on as soon as its in reverse, or the front camera turns on when I flip a switch. It required that I wire up a relay to allow two cameras to go to one screen but works perfect. The only real problem which is not a big deal is that when you put a back up camera up front, everything is backwards. If a car passes from left to right on your screen it will go from right to left. Not a problem with parking though.

I got my kit off of ebay. The kit came with what is called a lipstick camera which requires a 2" hole be drilled to mount it. I did not want to drill a hole that size in the trunk/bumper so I instead got a license plate frame camera and put the lipstic camera up in the chin spoiler since it could be replaced later.
I just picked up a Jensen CAM1 for $28. How did you wire up the relay?